Sunday, February 3, 2013

A Day of Closure

In October of 1995, my mom called me at work and told me that she heard the Cleveland Browns were moving to Baltimore and becoming the Baltimore Browns.  I immediately laughed, and tried to explain that the Browns have one of the best fan bases in all of sports, and that it could and never will happen.

Six weeks later, Mike Moser and I were in Cleveland for the first Browns game in Cleveland after it was made official.  This was my first Browns game, and sadly, I thought it was my last.  The Packers beat the Browns on that day ...

It would have been strange for me to root against the Baltimore Browns, and that's why I was relieved that they became the Baltimore Ravens.  It would be very easy to root against the Baltimore Ravens.

And I've been rooting against them ever since.  That ends today.

It's been 17 years.  It's time to let go of those feelings.  The Browns are back in Cleveland, and with Art Modell passing away in September, it's time to let go ...

As I get older, my focus has turned to the people that play and coach in these games, and not the clothes they wear.  

I'm rooting for the Ravens today.  I'm rooting for Torrey Smith and his family.  I'm rooting for John Harbaugh.  I'm rooting for Ray Lewis and Ed Reed.  I'm rooting for Joe Flacco.  I'm rooting for Ray Rice.  I'm rooting for Jim Caldwell.

... and I can't wait to celebrate an AFC championship win for the Browns in Cleveland.  One day.

No comments:

Post a Comment