Saturday, July 20, 2013

newgazzi Vol 06

It's what I do.  It's all I know.  Behold :  your monthly installment of the newgazzi playlist ...


1.  "I Want You" by Sky Parade (from the LP "Broken Hearts Will Kill Us All")

These guys have been around since 2004, and I stumbled upon them about 3 weeks ago.  A lot of you have asked for more "rawk", and I hope this whets your appetite.

Listen to it here ...  "I Want You" by Sky Parade



2.  "Love Has Come For You" by Steve Martin & Edie Brickell (from the LP "Love Has Come For You")

Yes, the idea for newgazzi was to give exposure to newer artists and their music, but at the same time, I wanted to feature any new music that I thought was good, no matter how established the acts were.  I may be alienating some readers by featuring 3 multi-millionaires this month, and no, I don't expect Steve Martin to share this post on social media like a lot of the bands have done the past six months.  But I was really drawn to this song, and hey, my daughter is excited that the guy that sings "Late For School" is on newgazzi, and isn't it really about the kids anyway?  Check out their recent appearance on The Today Show below ...





3.  "Home Again" by Elton John (from the LP "The Diving Board")

I've gone on record for years, saying that Elton John was the definitive album artist of the early to mid 70's.  He probably has 8-10 solid albums from that period, and in my opinion, only one great one since then (1995's "Made In England").  Most of his 80's albums weren't good, and I haven't really enjoyed anything since Made In England.  This is probably the most excited I've been for an Elton John record in my life, since I became a fan in 1994 (right around the time he started touring with Billy Joel, I started buying the early records).  On this record, he goes back to his recording roots of piano, bass and drums, and what I've heard so far, I love.  This song is one of his best in years, and I can't wait for the album to drop in September.





4.  "St Louis Gal" by Cecile McLorin Salvant (from the LP "WomanChild")

This was the first artist I chose for this volume of newgazzi.  I've been on a huge jazz kick lately, and I love this rendition.  Buy it, or come to my home and listen to it, then buy it.  It's hard to find audio for it, but here's 30 seconds to enjoy ...

St Louis Gal (30 seconds of goodness)



5.  "Uninvited (Storm)" by The Franklin Electric (from the LP "This Is How I Let You Down")

Back in April, newgazzi history was made, as one artist opened and closed the playlist.  This was unheard of in the three month history of newgazzi.   Well, The Franklin Electric would like to share their newest video for "Uninvited (Storm)", and guess what?  They'll be back later to close the set!  Guys, this is the record of the year in my opinion.  I know we have half the year to go, but this is what I've been spending most of my time with as of late.  I'm not going to make comparisons, they are their own beast, and I hope they are around for a long, long time.

Check out the video for "Uninvited (Storm)" here !   Uninvited (Storm) video



6.  "Janey" by Foy Vance (from the LP "Joy of Nothing")

I discovered Foy Vance on the Paste samplers back in the summer of 2008, with a song called "Be With Me".  Instantly loved it, and the first time I heard this song, "Janey", I knew that this record would be a must purchase.  It comes out August 27th, and I'm already waiting in line.  If the rest of it is anything like this song, then The Franklin Electric vs Foy Vance could very well be in the Main Event at the Album of the Year wrestling supercard in my mind ... Check out this performance, and show the proper respect to this man's moustache.



Also, you must visit his website, and watch the documentary, "Recording Nothing".  It's 22 minutes, and documents the making of the new record.

Official Foy Vance Website



7.  "Heart Beats" by Johnnyswim (from the "Heart Beats" EP)

What can I say?  I'm a sucker for the guy/gal duos.  She & Him, The Civil Wars, and the what not.  Add Johnnyswim to the mix.  I'm really digging this song and video ...





8.  "Varsity" by Smith Westerns (from the LP "Soft Will")

Smith Westerns were one of the first bands I discovered when Paste's mPlayer started in the summer of 2011.  Their record "Dye It Blonde" is one of my favorite of the past few years, and when I read about their lastest LP, "Soft Will", I was excited to hear what they had in store for us.  This record does not disappoint.  I've found that this has become one of my favorite bands to listen to in the car.





9.  "I Won't Be Long" by Beck (single)

I've been craving some new Beck for a while, and now I'm hearing rumors about TWO new albums in the near future.  Beck has been dropping singles here and there for a few months, and I really enjoy this new one.  I haven't really shared his catalogue yet with my soon to be 8 year old, so when she heard this, and told me she liked it, you should have seen her eyes light up when I showed her the folder of all the old records.  I can't wait to share them with her ...





10.  "Fowl and Foe" by Old Monk (single)

I say it every month.   I'll say it again.  The idea of newgazzi has bands like Old Monk in mind.  Never heard of them before a few weeks ago, found them in iTunes, sampled a few tunes, and instantly loved what I heard.  I hear a little bit of Belle & Sebastian, a dash of Pavement and a whole lot of ear candy.  Check them out, they definitely have a new fan in me!

Read about Old Monk and listen to "Fowl and Foe"



11.  "Best Friend in Town" by The Mother Hips (from the LP "Behind Beyond")

Another band I just discovered goofing around in iTunes, but these guys have been around for more than 20 years.  They have 8 full length records out, and I look forward to becoming familiar with their back catalogue.  Their latest record was just released on July 9th, and sounds great.   While you still have time, go to their website and stream "Best Friend in Town", and the rest of the album ...

Official Website for The Mother Hips



12.  "No Moon at All" by Eldar Djangirov Trio (from the LP "Breakthrough")

This song was supposed to be included on Volume 4 of newgazzi, but I had so much great stuff, and already featured a jazz instrumental (Emily Bear), that I decided to delay it until now.  Don't be fooled, it's not a knock against this recording or the musicians, after all, if I didn't love it, I wouldn't have brought it back.  I actually have this entire record, and really enjoy it.  As I said earlier, I've been in a huge jazz phase lately (as you will hear again later), and really wanted to share this.  Mr Djangirov can thank The Features and Cayucas for being bumped two months ago.

Listen to it here ....  "No Moon At All"



13.  "Elephant" by Jason Isbell (from the LP "Southeastern")

I've always enjoyed when Paste has featured Jason Isbell, and this song really got my attention.  Don't play it for the kiddies, though.  Unless you want to hear them ask you, "What does fucked mean?".  Actually, that sounds like fun !!  I'm sure AFV would love it ...





14.  "Take It Easy, Baby" by Kiya Lacey (from the LP "Kiya Lacey")



I always have to remind people that this playlist I publish is not a ranking, and I try not to play favorites. Being song #14 does not mean this is my 14th favorite song on the list, in fact, in this case, this is one of the jewels of the playlist.  People that have been reading me since the start of newgazzi know how much time I put into the sequencing of this playlist, and if you know me at all, you know I love to start and end strong.  I knew very early in the month that I would be ending with this and my new pals from Canada, The Franklin Electric.  This album comes in around 24 minutes, which may make it pound for pound one of the better listens out there.  Ideally, I like albums to be around 40-45 minutes.  If it's much longer than that, you better not have a lot of filler, and if it's much shorter, each track must deliver, and this self-titled debut DELIVERS.  What a voice.  And what a bright future .... find it on iTunes, right now, and buy this record ...  and won't you enjoy this video of me sharing the song with you, with a visit from my daughter !







15.  "This Is How I Let You Down" by The Franklin Electric (from the LP "This Is How I Let You Down")

There can only be one closer this month.  This is my favorite song of 2013 thus far.  Enjoy ...




The Official Website of The Franklin Electric


Thank you for checking out newgazzi!  Starting Monday, July 29th, I will be featuring one new song a day, every Monday thru Friday for three weeks, then taking those 15 songs and creating the playlist for you all to enjoy.  No more waiting a month for new music!!

Joey








No comments:

Post a Comment