Friday, February 7, 2014

Everything you need to know about The Incredible Hulk, Season Four

The last full season of The Incredible Hulk featured some of the most memorable episodes in the history of the show, and some of the worst.

(1) Prometheus Part 1

After a meteor lands, David transforms, touches the meteor, then is only changes half way back to normal.   A military outfit named "Prometheus" then captures The Hulk, thinking he came from outer space.

The "Hulk-Outs"

Stung by a swarm of bees shortly after meteor lands
While being surrounded by Prometheus in attempt to capture him

My take

Laurie Prange returns with another great performance, this time as a blind woman.  Goddamn, does Ric Dresin look like Ben Stiller in the few shots of him mid-episode.  4 stars.



(2) Prometheus Part 2

The Hulk is captured by Prometheus, and uses a think titanium dome to contain him.  They bring The Hulk to a top secret scientific base, thinking he's from outer space.

The "Hulk-Outs"

Episode begins while The Hulk is being captured
After being shot with a tranquilizer gun

My take

I wish I could say this 2 part beginning to season 4 was great, but it wasn't.  The idea of David's transformation being "stuck" could have been better done.  3 stars.


(3) Free Fall

David is caught in the middle of a conflict between a corrupt politician and the owner of a traveling skydiving show.

The "Hulk-Outs"

Literally caught in a ring of fire
Shot at while skydiving

My take

Highly forgettable episode, in my opinion.  1 star.


(4) Dark Side

In an attempt to control his transformations, David brings out a dark side in himself, and the Hulk is now capable of mass destruction.

The "Hulk-Outs"

While being attacked at the club
After running the car off the road

My take

One of the best episodes in the history of the show.  Perhaps Bixby's finest performance, as he bounces back and forth between good and evil.  Great drama and very well done.  5 stars.


(5) Deep Shock

The Hulk is electrocuted after David rescues a co-worker at the power plant he's working at.  His vision becomes blurred, which makes him fall and become unconscious.  David awakens with the ability to see the future, and envisions a murder he thinks may be committed by The Hulk.

The "Hulk-Outs"

While trying to save his co-worker
After being electrocuted for the second time

My take

Another solid episode.  Very well written and orchestrated.  4 stars.


(6) Bring Me the Head of the Hulk

A rival newspaper of the National Register hires someone to kill The Hulk.

The "Hulk-Outs"

Seen leaving a building to begin the episode
Ingests poisonous gas
During arson attempt

My take

This is Bill Bixby's series directorial debut. This episode is memorable in that Jack McGee shows real compassion for David when he rejects an offer from the killers to help kill The Hulk.


(7) Fast Lane

David rents a car filled with stolen money and finds himself being chased by the gangsters looking for it.

The "Hulk-Outs"

Hurts hand on a cactus
In a car accident

My take

Nothing really memorable.  They bring back Victoria Carroll from the Mystery Man episode.  Not much here.  2 stars.


(8) Goodbye, Eddie Cain

David is pegged as the prime suspect in a blackmailing case, but once he's found innocent, he and the detective who suspected him join forces to find the real culprit.

The "Hulk-Outs"

Attacked in a garage
Wall of bricks falls on him

My take

While unique, in that the story is told from the perspective of the detective, a highly forgettable show in my opinion.  I'll give it 2 stars, only because it's unique.


(9) King of the Beach

David befriends a hearing-impaired bodybuilder at the restaurant he's working at, and the young man finds himself involved in a competition with shady contestants.

The "Hulk-Outs"

Attacked by thugs at the dock
While gagged and hung

My take

OK, so they threw a bone at Ferrigno and gave him his first speaking role as Carl.  But, c'mon, his acting is terrible.  This felt like when a show would bring in a kid to boost ratings.  I'm giving this 3 stars because I'm in a good mood.  I already regret it.



(10) Wax Museum

David takes a job at a wax museum, and the Hulk feels at home with the unusual exhibits he sees.

The "Hulk-Outs"

Burned by hot water
Burned by hot wax

My take

Despite some poor editing, this was a great psychological episode.  Christine Belford and Max Showalter each turn in fantastic guest preformances.  On a lighter note, I was amused by the sight of what ATM's looked like in 1981, and more amused by The Hulk trying to use one.  4 stars.


(11) East Winds

David becomes the recipient of a mail-order bride who is seeking something hidden in his apartment, which drags him right in the middle of a dispute between a cop and a brutal Chinese gang.

The "Hulk-Outs"

Poisoned at the restaurant
Once again, burned by hot water

My take

I can't say I hated it, but I can tell you that during the 44 minutes that it was playing on my blu ray player, I vacuumed the living room, masturbated to something on youtube and approved payroll for my staff.  2 stars because of the youtube moment I had.


(12) The First Part 1

While searching for a scientist who may have an antidote for his transformations, David meets a man who insists he had once been a Hulk himself, and wants the power back.

The "Hulk-Outs"

Falls into a well after being chased
(Frye) almost immediately after taken dose of gamma radiation


My take

Fantastic episode.  There was something about the way they shot this, it almost feels like an old time scary movie.  I love the idea of David finding someone else who has the same condition as him, although they could have made Frye's Hulk more muscular.  I mean, the shirt doesn't even rip.  5 stars, none the less.




(13) The First Part 2

Del Frye uses lab equipment to regain his Hulk powers, but his aggressive personality makes his creature extremely dangerous, and David can only hope there's enough of Dr Clive's cure left for both of them.

The "Hulk-Outs"

(Frye) beaten up at the bar
(Frye) right after being injected with sedative
After antidote is thrown against the wall, David realizes he won't be cured

My take

Great conclusion to this memorable two-parter. Bixby's performance when he realizes the antidote was wasted was incredible.  Again, my only critique is that Frye's Hulk is not very bulky, and has the body type of a Jack Sikma.  I mean, I love Jack Sikma, but was Terry Bolea busy that week?  5 stars.


(14) The Harder They Fall

After being paralyzed from the waist down in an automobile accident, David must choose between life in a wheelchair, or risking to intentionally transform into The Hulk, hoping to repair the damage with the Hulk's incredible regenerative ability.

The "Hulk-Outs"

Falls down the stairs
Rear-ended in automobile

My take

This episode features some pretty poor acting, even Bixby's performance as a paraplegic is a little bit cheesy.  For an episode that was critically acclaimed, I found it to be pretty weak.  2 stars, and I'm being generous.


(15) Interview with The Hulk

David reluctantly agrees to an interview about The Hulk, not knowing that the reporter works for The National Register.

The "Hulk-Out"

Cuts hand on window while trying to avoid McGee

My take

I'm usually not a fan of "clip" shows, which this essentially is ... while Banner is being interviewed, several scenes from the first three seasons are revisited, but I enjoy the performances of Bixby and the gentleman who interviewed him.   But in the end, I think they could have done more with this episode.  3 stars.


(16) Half Nelson

David befriends a midget wrestler.  That's it, that's all I got.

The "Hulk-Outs"

Thrown into the garbage
While a sleeper hold was being applied to him

My take

You'd think that with me being a big professional wrestling fan, that I would have been more into this episode, but this is one of the worst episodes in the history of the show.  Forgive me if I've said this before, but Hulk episodes are kind of like the track list of a Robert Pollard album.  Some great ones, some lousy ones, but I keep coming back for more!  That being said, 1 star, here.


(17) Danny

David tries to help a young woman and her son break free from a group of farm equipment thieves.

The "Hulk-Outs"

Pushed into barbed wire
While being buried alive

My take

I enjoyed Robin Dearden's performance, she has been one of the better guest stars to make multiple appearances, but this episode was kind of goofy.  I give it 3 stars because it was executed ok, just not the strongest plot line.

(18) Patterns

A factory owner claims that David is his business partner, and loan sharks come to David looking for cash.

The "Hulk-Outs"

Arm burned by steam presser
Electrocuted during attack

My take

The Incredible Hulk hasn't had the strongest of season finales, and this is no different.  Watching The Hulk snoop around the factory, looking at sewing machines and mannequins doesn't really do it for me.  3 stars, and I'm probably being generous.


Everything you need to know about The Incredible Hulk, Season Five, is coming soon, and will also include a synopsis of the three made for TV movies that NBC aired after the original series was cancelled.   Season Five was only 7 episodes long, because the show was cancelled before any of them could air, and only seven episodes were in the can at the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment