Monday, April 22, 2013

newgazzi Vol 03

A quick welcome to all my new readers !  The 4th Tuesday (a day early again) of the month can only mean one thing ... newgazzi !!!  This month, I listened to over 300 new(er) songs, and these are the 15 I want to share with you.  Enjoy !!

1.  "Undertow" by Anna Vogelzang (from the LP "Canary in a Coal Mine")

Last month, I drove 90 miles to see Nataly Dawn play a show in Madison, but little did I know that I would meet another amazing musician, and that person would not only be opening my next volume of newgazzi,  (SPOILER ALERT) she would also be closing it as well.  Driving home that night, I spent my time getting familiar with a few of her records, and later that week I shared them with my family.   Here's an actual conversation I had with my daughter yesterday ...

Me : "What do you want to listen to?  I have Elvis Costello, The Beatles, Anna Vog--"  cut off

Gracie : "Anna Vogelzang"

Me : "Billy J--" cut off

Gracie : "Anna Vogelzang"

Me :  "Weez--" cut off

Gracie : "Anna Vogelzang, daddy, don't say anymore magicians" (musicians)


So needless to say, Anna has two new fans with the last name Buchholz.  This is the song that I fell in love with that night ...



2.  "Tam Lin (Child 39)" by Anais Mitchell and Jefferson Hamer (from the LP "Child Ballads")

I asked Anna for a few artists that she's listening to these days, and I'm actually a fan of the two she mentioned.  The first one she mentioned is Thao & The Get Down Stay Down, who I featured on newgazzi Vol 1, and the other one was Anais Mitchell.  So I decided to use this song from her new album "Child Ballads".   This album is amazing ...



3.  "Whisper" by The Dear Hunter (from the LP "Migrant")

Not to be confused with Deerhunter.  Each month, I listen to about 300 songs in the process of picking out the 15 that are presented here.  This was one of the first ones I discovered.  I look forward to becoming familiar with their back catalogue.



4.  "Lux, Lisbon" by Marriage (from the EP "Marriage")

I discovered these guys on Noisetrade, and really like what they are doing.  I asked Brett (vocals and guitar) about this song.  He said, "It's about trying to recall a feeling by searching through old memories ... kind of like trying to remember what you did the night before, after drinking too much, minus the throwing of other people's stuff."   Here is "Lux, Lisbon" from the band's Soundcloud page.  Find them on Facebook, where they have links to all the sites that feature their music.    Great sound, with a bright future ...  Brett was also kind enough to share a recent press release about the band ...

April 14, 2013
 Toronto, ON – Marriage announces itself to the Toronto music scene with their first self-titled EP, released early this April. Recorded and re-recorded over the winter of 2013, the Marriage EP was written and recorded in band members’ various living rooms, basements, and apartments.
 The Marriage EP’s lush mix of ambient synthesizers, dense guitar layers, and spaced-out vocals are influenced by the less-than-tangible effects of nostalgia and its impact on the future.
 Marriage is Brett Zadravetz (vocals and guitar), Asher Gould-Murtagh (guitar and keyboards), and Blair Swann (keyboards and synthesizer). 




5.  "March" by The Get Togethers (from the LP "Home as in Houston")

Another great new band I discovered on Noisetrade.  I reached out to them on Facebook, and they were excited to be featured, and can't wait to see who they would be featured with.  Here is a picture the band shared with their twitter followers recently ...



This album is a must listen, and I could have used any of the tracks from the record ...




6.  " '99" by Harper Simon (from the LP "Division Street")

This is indeed Paul Simon's son.  His self titled LP from 2009 is in heavy rotation in my home, and I look forward to getting familiar with the new one.   This track has a little bit of a Guster feel to it.  



7.  "Lost That Easy" by Cold War Kids (from the LP "Dear Miss Lonelyhearts")

These guys were featured in Paste in the summer of 2007, and I think it's time that I give these young men a little bit more of my time.  Nathan Willett is an amazing vocalist.



8.  "Black Sheep" by Gin Wigmore (from the LP "Gravel & Wine")

I saw Gin Wigmore on Carson Daly's show a while back.  Yes, I watch Carson Daly.  He features a lot of great new music.  Talk about singing chops!  This is an incredible song ...





9.  "Spotlight" by Leagues (from the LP "You Belong Here")

I've been wearing the hell out of this song lately.  Here's the video ...



10.  "Toe Cutter - Thumb Buster" by Thee Oh Sees (from the LP "Floating Coffin")

This is the next record I buy.  Sonic bliss ... and awesome album art !



11.  "I'll Be True" by The Shouting Matches (from the LP "Grownass Man")

I can't take credit for discovering this.  That belongs to Mr Nick Jim Korth.  And yes, that is indeed Eau Claire's own, Justin Vernon on vocals.  This is a new "side project", but I love where this could possibly go.  When Bon Iver's 2nd full length came out, I was starting to worry that they might become a parody of themselves.  This album confirms for me that Justin Vernon can wear many different hats, and wear them all well.



12.  "Grace for Saints and Ramblers" by Iron & Wine (from the LP "Ghost on Ghost")

I understand that Sam Beam doesn't need my help getting his name out there.  But my goal for newgazzi is to spread the word about great new music, and while I think that Iron & Wine have a great thing going, I'm not sure that all my readers know.  This is a live version, and all respect to that beard ...



13.  "Tales and Truths" by Black Apples (from the EP "Tales and Truths")

This was the last song that made this month's list.  I was looking for one more, and I loved this right away.



14.  "Closer to You" by Mike Cavanaugh (from the LP "Lovely Lonely Place")

I was doing a little Facebook Spring cleaning recently, and discovered a message from this gentleman sent to me back in September.  I didn't see it until recently, because it was sent to a folder labeled "Other", instead of my Inbox.  He asked me to share his music.  I listened to it.  I liked it.  So here we go!





15.  "One & Only" by Anna Vogelzang (from the LP "Canary in a Coal Mine")

I had the pleasure to be asked to participate in providing some background vocals for this song during Anna's performance in Madison, and I'm sure if she plays it in Milwaukee this summer, you'll be asked to.  



BONUS TRACK  !!

James Redding shared a great story with me on Saturday about a young man who was dancing during this performance (James joins him near the end), and thankfully, there is video of it!  Watch as James creates a memorable moment for his fans.

















2 comments:

  1. So glad to see The Get Togethers on your newgazzi list! Awesome, indeed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is my pleasure. They've made great art, and my readers should know about them !

      Delete