Saturday, March 23, 2013

Fugazzi Grand III

In late 2010, Fugazzi Grand was my attempt to rank my top 1,000 songs of all time.  A list of favorites, as it were, not an attempt to tell you what I thought the best songs were.

Last summer, Fugazzi Grand II : SNL was my attempt to rank my top 1,000 moments in the history of Saturday Night Live.   Same premise.  What I liked, not what I perceived as the best.

Well, my most ambitious project (outside of the book I wrote) is coming to "The Litmus Configuration" in 2014, AND WILL LAST AN ENTIRE YEAR !!

That's right .... Fugazzi Grand III : Albums is coming, January 1, 2014.  I will be counting down my Top 500 favorite albums.  1,000 just isn't possible.  As of today, I own 616 long players.  I haven't hammered out the specifics yet, but I'm going to be open minded to certain greatest hits collections, live records and EPs.  For example, Tom Petty's Greatest Hits has to make the list.  Eric Clapton's Unplugged is too good to leave off, and there are a handful of EPs that deserving a spot.  After all, a few of the EPs I have are longer than 2-3 records that will make the list.

This is what I'm planning.  Staring January 1, 2014, I plan to feature 2 records a day for the first 135 days of the year, and 1 a day for the last 230 days of the year, for a total of 500.   Yeah, Rolling Stone does this every 10 years or so, but guess what, you buy it, you take it in to the bathroom later that night, and 45 minutes later, you've whipped through the whole list.  I'm reinventing the word buildup with this one, baby!

As with the other two volumes of Fugazzi Grand (especially the first one), a list like this is intended to entertain you, keep me busy, but most of all, help start a conversation between music enthusiasts.  I want feedback!  I want to hear your favorites.  Tell me I suck!  But let's talk music !!

I'll be spending time here and there working on creating the order of the list.  And just like the previous two, try not to get too caught up in the exact order.  I guarantee that I like 1 more than 500, but what I have ranked 378 and/or 381 could move up or down at anytime depending on my mood, or how the Mets are doing ...

We are more than 9 months away, and I hope to contribute a lot more to the blog between now and then.  Continue to check back for my take on music, baseball, books, comedy, fantasy football and the what not.  And I will most certainly continue to share "newgazzi" with everyone, on the last Tuesday of every month (see you Tuesday), and I might have some exciting news regarding newgazzi in the near future.

Thanks for reading "The Litmus Configuration" !!

Joey

No comments:

Post a Comment