Tuesday, February 7, 2012

The "fill in the blank" Bowl

Two nights ago, the New York Giants beat the New England Patriots in Super Bowl XLVI. One Hundred Eleven Million people watched the game. Here are a few problems I have with the Super Bowl ...

  • The name. We call it Super, even before it's played. A dozen or so of these games have been Super, but a lot of them have less than that. The game I watched Sunday was only "Super" for about 3 minutes ...
  • The halftime show. I've only really liked three of them (U2, McCartney and Prince). Would it be ok if we talked, I don't know, football, during the halftime show, and air Madonna's performance on VH1 Classic or MTV2.
  • The roman numerals. Let's stop numbering the game altogether. By numbering the games, the NFL is pretty much ignoring any champions that were crowned between 1920 and 1965.
If it were up to me, next year's scheduled game would be referred to as the 2012 NFL Championship Game instead of Super Bowl XLVII. And at halftime, we would leave the 80's pop stars in the Nice Price bin at Best Buy, show highlights of the first half, and give analysis of the second half.

I understand it's a chance for advertisers to reach out to over 100 million potential buyers, and I think that can still be done with all the commercials that are paid for, but I think it's time the focus go back to the game, and use the game to celebrate the league's rich history. The Cleveland Browns have never even made a Super Bowl, but did you know that they have won more NFL Championships than the Patriots?


No comments:

Post a Comment