Friday, July 25, 2014

newgazzi Vol 18

newgazzi Vol 18 is dedicated to my father, James Robert Buchholz.  If he hadn't filled his home with great music all the time (Beatles, Stones, Lennon, etc), I may never have thought to start writing about music ...

R.I.P. Dad, you will be missed, and I will miss sharing new music with you ...

Track #1 ("Nowhere Man" by The Beatles, from the LP Rubber Soul)

About 20 years ago, my dad made a video of him drumming to his favorite songs, and this is the tune he used to lead into the video.  I always think about my dad when I hear this song.  This was also my dad's favorite album of all time, and will certainly high up on Fugazzi Grand III : My Top 500 Albums.













Track #2 ("Trade All the Lights" by Caleb Caudle, from the LP Paint Another Layer on My Heart)

The harmonies and lyrics are fantastic.  The song has really grown on me in the last few weeks.  Kind of reminds me of Jason Isbell.

















Track #3 ("Lion" by The Felice Brothers, from the LP Favorite Waitress)

Personally, this is my favorite song of the volume.  I've been wearing it out for a few weeks now.  I will have to purchase the long player soon.

















Track #4 ("Used to Be the Shit" by Miniature Tigers, from the LP Cruel Runnings)

I believe this is the second song we chose for the playlist this month.  Very poppy, but in a good way.  Great song !


















Track #5 ("Breaking the Angle Against the Tide" by Craft Spells, from the LP Nausea)

I love the sound, great mood all the way around.  This feels like a timeless record to me.



















Track #6 ("You Got Out" by Lily $ Madeleine, from the LP Acoustic Sessions)

This is so damn good.  That is all.





















Track #7 ("I'm Not" by Matt Stansberry & The Romance, from the LP Crash Landing)

Matt, if you're reading this, you are formally invited to the wedding, and if you want to bring The Romance and play a few tunes, we'd be more than cool with that.  You are a gent, and you rocked our fannies off in Cedarburg last month.












Check out a sample of the song here, and buy the hell out of it !!

I'm Not by Matt Stansberry and The Romance


Track #8 ("The Mistakes" by Army Navy, from the LP The Wilderness Inside)

This is Heather's pick to click this month.  I love it, too.
















Check out the song here !


Track #9 ("Diamond Mind" by Johan Tolchin, from the LP Clover Lane)

This was the last song that was chosen for newgazzi Vol 18, but as the old saying goes, last but not least.  This is fantastic ...


















Track #10 ("Slow Motion" by PHOX, from the LP PHOX)

Songs like this, are exactly why I do newgazzi.  Goddamn, I love discovering new music.


















Track #11 ("Are You Behind the Shining Star?" by Trampled by Turtles, from the LP Wild Animals)

This is a band I discovered on NoiseTrade a while back, and almost used them about a year ago.  This month, it was a no brainer.  I'm sure we'll hear more from this band in the future.

















Tracks #12, #13, #14 and #15 have been chosen by my father. These were the four songs he wanted played at his memorial service, and they will also serve as the anchor for this playlist.  Dad gave me a love for music, so this is for him ...

#12 is Baby Blue by Badfinger
#13 is In My Life by The Beatles
#14 is All Things Must Pass by George Harrison
#15 is Let It Be by The Beatles
























I love you, Dad.  I hope this playlist somehow finds you ...





No comments:

Post a Comment