Thursday, August 21, 2014

Fugazzi Grand III : My Top 500 Albums (#136)

(#136, Person Pitch by Panda Bear)

I love telling this story.  The first time I ever ate at B-Dubs was in Madison, late 2007.  It was the night I proclaimed that Brandon Starks would forever be known as Asian Zing, and it was the night I asked Matt Schewe to recommend two records to me.  I asked that one of them have a strong track 1, and the other be something from a band I've never heard of.  He recommended this record by Panda Bear, and Return to Cookie Mountain by TV on the Radio.  It turns out, I had never heard of either of these ... and I didn't enjoy either record after one listen.  I never really gave the TV on the Radio record another fair chance, however, for some reason, I've embraced the two records they've released since then with open arms.  But this record, I came back to, and slowly began to appreciate it.  I then started to listen to the Animal Collective records, and started to realize this guy brought something special to the table.  The vinyl version of this record has a slightly different track order, due to the fact that there are a pair of 12 minutes songs on the album.  Either way, this is the goods.


Take a listen to "Comfy in Nautica" and "Take Pills" ...




No comments:

Post a Comment