Sunday, September 6, 2009

If at first you don't succeed...

...try, try again. That's the first bit of advice I received as a youngster that has stuck with me over time. I enjoyed writing my first book last summer. It was, and will always be a souvenir for an amazing baseball season for the Brewers and Mets. I poured everything I had into it, and I'm proud of the work I did. Damn proud. My goal was to sell 10,000 copies. I fell short. By about 9600 copies. 4% of my goal achieved. Not published, not licensed, no marketing, very little time, and nobody knows who the hell I am. But I did sell 400. 400 people believed in me, and nobody has said to me that they hated it. In fact, a lot of you have made an effort to tell me how much you like what I did. That's pretty cool. I like writing. Actually, I love it. I love writing, and it's one of the few things that really fuels me. Writing, baseball, good music, good food, good company and being a dad. So, despite many doors being slammed in my face, and having little to no money to work with for my next book, I am going to write again. Starting tonight. Because I love it. I'm still going to fight like hell to get published. I think I'm good at whatever it is I do, and I can't wait to spring 10.25.86 on you, which, if all goes well, will be in your hands on 10.25.11, which would be 25 years to the day of Game Six (you know which one). My original plan was to write in even numbered years, and promote the books in odd numbered years, but this project is going to take about 2 years to complete. The title and release date are both tentative. I'm excited to get started....

Side note : Reno 911! was cancelled recently. I found out 10 minutes ago. Six years of hilarity. Is that a word? I think it is!

No comments:

Post a Comment