Tuesday, June 3, 2014

newgazzi Vol 16

Sorry this is late.  I fell into something recently, and I don't see myself ever coming out of it.

This is for She.

Tracks 1 and 2 ("Uptown Girl" and "The Longest Time" by Billy Joel, from the LP An Innocent Man)

This was my first cassette, and 30 years after these two songs were all I would listen to, I now have someone to sing them to.



















Track 3 ("Just Kiss Me" by Harry Connick Jr, from the LP Blue Light, Red Light)

My heart has been dancing to this song non-stop for a while now.


















Track 4 (Running Wild by La Sera, from the LP Hour of the Dawn)

La Sera's "Break My Heart" was my #2 song of 2012, and when I saw that she had a new record out, I had to see what was up.  This is another fantastic song.  I think it's time I invest in a long player ...
















Track 5 (Tied Up Tied Down by TEEN, from the LP The Way and Color)

This was the first "new" song that I chose for newgazzi Vol 16.  Great sounding band from Brooklyn ...














Hear it here !!  Tied Up Tied Down


Track 6 (Sing by Ed Sheeran, from the LP x)

This is my cousin Melanie's favorite singer, and although I kind of tired of his first album after a while, I cannot deny how damn catchy this song is.  He's got a little bit of a Justin Timberlake thing going on here.  For a few days last week, this was the most downloaded song on iTunes.  Definitely worth checking out ... and he looks like a teller I hired recently.  Let's see if he's reading this!














Track 7 (Waiting for the Sun by Jolie Holland, from the LP Wine Dark Sea)

Jolie Holland is the goods, and it's only a matter of time before I eat up her entire discography.  This song is great.  The vocals, the bass line.  Check this out !!
















Track 8 (Still Knocking at the Door by Papercuts, from the LP Life Among the Savages)

This was the last song that I chose for this particular volume of newgazzi.  If you haven't heard their cover of Don Henley's "Boys of Summer", you must ... this is great, too.
















Track 9 (Camera by Thee Oh Sees, from the LP Drop)

This band was featured on newgazzi Vol 3, and I'll never forget my sister describing "Toe Cutter - Thumb Buster" as "too heavy metally" ... This is another solid album from this San Francisco outfit.















Track 10 ("Happy" by John Fullbright, from the LP Songs)

This is my favorite new song this month.  On February 16th, I made a decision to get help so that I can one day be happy.  I didn't think it would only take about eight weeks to reach that plateau.















Track 11 ("She's the One" by Ray LaMontagne, from the LP Supernova)

Ray LaMontagne has become a favorite of mine over the past five years or so.  I haven't spent as much time with this album as I'd like to, but I keep coming back to this song.  I'm a softy.
















Track 12 ("I'll Believe Every Word" by Patrick Joseph, from the LP Moon King)

I discovered this album on NoiseTrade a few weeks back.  It's way too good to be offered for free.  There were a few songs from this record I could have chosen, but this is the one I keep coming back to.












Download the entire album here, and make sure to tip accordingly !


Track 13 ("Slow Show" by The National, from the LP Boxer)

Some times, we all borrow lyrics from songwriters to help us express how we feel.  Thank you, Matt Berninger.

















Track 14 ("Falling Slowly" by Glen Hansard & Marketa Irglova, from Music from the Motion Picture "Once")

Glen Hansard, welcome back to newgazzi!  As it turns out, a different version of this song was featured on Paste about seven years ago, but I just heard this version for the first time recently.  I knew the first time that I heard it that it would be featured on newgazzi this particular month.













Track 15 ("She" by Elvis Costello)

She 
May be the reason I survive 
The why and wherefore I'm alive 
The one I'll care for through the rough in ready years 
Me 
I'll take her laughter and her tears 
And make them all my souvenirs 
For where she goes I've got to be 
The meaning of my life is 

She
She, oh she


















No comments:

Post a Comment