Thursday, June 26, 2014

newgazzi Vol 17

Rock n Roll !  It's newgazzi Vol 17 ...

Track #1 ("On the Roof" by Dan Bern, from the LP Songs of Fall)

New Dan Bern record?  Yes, please!  Dan Bern has become one of my favorite singer-songwriters over the past 10 years, thanks to Mr Howard Goldstein.  This is a great collection of songs that Bern wrote last fall.

If you're not familiar with the work of Dan Bern, check out his website here














Track #2 ("Is This A Breakdown?" by Echo & The Bunnymen, from the LP Meteorites)

This band was featured on Paste in late 2005, but they've been around since the late 70s.  Their twelfth studio album just dropped, and was produced by Youth, who is the other half of The Fireman.  This was the first song I chose for this month's installment of newgazzi.


Check out their website here












Track #3 ("Let It Burn" by The Orwells, from the LP Disgraceland)

This Chicago band formed a few years ago, and this comes from their second album.  This is one of my favorite songs this month, and I want to play catch on the yard featured on the cover.

Check out their website here
















Track #4 ("Bob Pollard's Mind" by Cocktails, from the LP Adult Life)

I don't know anything about this band, except that they wrote a song about Robert Pollard, and I guess they like pictures of old women holding ice cream.  Great song!  I need to buy the record soon.

















Track #5 ("Habits (Stay High)" by Tove Lo, from the EP Truth Serum)

This EP is fantastic, and her performance on Late Night with Seth Meyers was really good as well.  I look forward to seeing what young Ebba Nilsson has in store for the future.

Check out her website here















Track #6 ("Black & White" by Parquet Courts, from the LP Sunbathing Animal)

I just discovered this band for the first time, and I already know that I need to call in sick from work to get caught up on their discography.  They are that good.

Learn more about them here














Track #7 ("Just One of the Guys" by Jenny Lewis, from the LP The Voyager)

Ah yes, Jenny Lewis ... my 2008/2009 crush.  This is her first solo record since then, but you have to wait until July 29th to grab it.  I'll be first in line ...

Learn more about Jenny Lewis here















Track #8 ("Rent I Pay" by Spoon, from the LP They Want My Soul)

This is another album you'll have to wait a little bit for, as this doesn't come out until August 5th. Britt Daniel is a favorite of mine, so this is well worth the wait.  From what I've already heard, this is going to be a solid long player.

If you are not familiar with this band, check out their website here













Track #9 ("Bloodlines" by Mimicking Birds, from the LP Eons)

I've been wearing this song out the last few weeks.  This song was considered for newgazzi Vol 16, but I fell in love with a girl, so a few songs had to be bumped as if they were so much Matt Damon or Lindsay Buckingham.

Here is their official website.













Track #10 ("Kathleen" by Catfish and the Bottlemen, from the EP Kathleen and the Other Three)

Three things :

1) Great album art
2) Great name for the EP
3) Great song

You can learn more about Catfish and the Bottlemen here












Track #11 ("Snug as Fuck" by Liam Finn, from the LP The Nihilist)

It's a family affair here at newgazzi, as I featured Liam's father on newgazzi Vol 13 back in February.  I discovered Liam Finn's music back in late 2007, and have really been enjoying this record for the past four weeks or so.  And for my readers who do not like cursing, feel free to refer to this song is as "Snug as All Get Out"

Check out his website here












Track #12 ("Like I Need You" by Kan Wakan, from the LP Moving On)

Probably the best album art featured this month.  I don't know a lot about this band, but I really do like this song, which I found around 2:00am last weekend.

Here is their website















Track #13 ("Anna Bella" by The Pharmacy, from the LP Spells)

This past weekend, I was on a mission to find one more song that would round out this batch of tunes.  It didn't happen quickly, but I knew about 7 seconds into this one that I had a winner.  I'm a fan of The Pharmacy, and I will have to buy this when the album comes out later this year.

Check out their website here













Track #14 ("Hundreds of Ways" by Conor Oberst, from the LP Upside Down Mountain)

I have an unusual relationship with Conor Oberst's music.  Some days I love it, some days I don't.  I currently love this song, so welcome to newgazzi Vol 17, Mr Oberst!

Here is his website















Track #15 ("Estelle" by Dan Bern, from the LP Dan Bern)

This is my favorite Dan Bern song of all time, and I've listened to it multiple times every day for the last few weeks.  I figured since I wanted to feature Dan Bern to kick off the playlist this month, that I would let him finish it as well.

















Thanks again for checking out newgazzi!  Keep checking back every day to see if your favorite album has made Fugazzi Grand III : My Top 500 Albums, and check back on July 25th for newgazzi Vol 18 !!

No comments:

Post a Comment