Sunday, December 21, 2014

Fugazzi Grand III : My Top 500 Albums (#11)

(#11, Alien Lanes by Guided By Voices)

The first time I heard this I hated it.  In fact, it took almost six months for me to give it another shot, and I'm sure glad I did.  I must have been in a crummy mood that first time around.  Or maybe I just went into it with a closed mind.  You may do the same thing, if you saw the record included 28 songs, in 41 minutes !!  Is this a joke?  More like a lo-fi, garage pop-rock masterpiece.  Todd Kemper and I argue all the time which is better, this or Bee Thousand.  For me, it's always been this one, and it will always be this one.  There was even a time I would have considered this my #1 album of all time.  I know I've said those words to Todd on more than one occasion.  I don't like it any less than the ten that will eventually come before it, but this is the only album in the top 11 that doesn't get to me on an emotional level, and that's why I've very carefully placed it where I have ...


Listen to "Watch Me Jumpstart", "My Valuable Hunting Knife" and "Blimps Go 90" ...







No comments:

Post a Comment