Sunday, August 18, 2013

A Few Thoughts About Sound City

I saw Dave Grohl's Sound City documentary last night for the first time, and here are a few random thoughts ...


  • Between this and the Foo Fighters' Back and Forth film, I could listen to Butch Vig talk about recording on tape all day.   
  • I wish I was friends with Pat Smear.
  • While I was aware that Nevermind and Wildflowers were recorded at Sound City, I was not aware that Pinkerton and Momofuku were recorded there, too.
  • I think I need to pick up that Buckingham Nicks record on vinyl, and pretend that I've owned it for years.
  • I had no idea that Neil Geraldo played guitar on Jessie's Girl. 
  • It is interesting that despite all the great advancements in technology, it seems that the older records (which were recorded on tape) sound better than the ones recorded these days. 

This is definitely worth seeing.  Dave Grohl has become quite the ambassador for rock n roll, and watching him record with the various artists is very cool.  The soundtrack is great, as well.

Watch a trailer here ...

No comments:

Post a Comment