Friday, August 2, 2013

No Introduction Needed

The main purpose of newgazzi is to introduce you to new music.  For the most part, it's new artists, or new stuff from lesser known artists that I think are great.  Or sometimes, it's something so good, that it really doesn't matter if they are new, or need a push with exposure.

Growing up, my sister and I thought Elvis Costello was "the biggest nerd" on MTV.  As I became a young adult, the days of judging musicians by what they looked like were long gone, and I really started to let my ears decide what I liked.  I slowly became a fan in the late 90's.  I had a greatest hits double disc set, and the first album I bought was a collaborative recording with Burt Bacharach.  It was right around the time they had a quick cameo in Austin Powers 2 (which I thought was very cool).  I even remember, the first song I ever downloaded on napster was "Less Than Zero".  Then I started to slowly collect the older records.  Fast forward to 2013, and I would probably say that Elvis Costello has become my favorite recording artist.  When I heard about a new album recorded with The Roots, I circled the date on the calendar (sept 17), and started to tap my foot.  By the way, as great as The Roots are (on Fallon, on the Jay-Z Unplugged), I don't own a proper album of theirs.  Any suggestions?

The album is still six and a half weeks away, but here's the video for the first single, "Walk Us Uptown" ...

No comments:

Post a Comment