Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Confract two, Hank....

Yes, I've chosen a Midnight Run reference as the title for my new blog. So what? I enjoy the movie, I've seen it over a hundred times. It makes me smile. It's been about 2 years since I started work on my book, Two Loves: The Story of A Baseball Polygamist, and I promised myself I wouldn't start writing my next book until the summer of 2010, but I need some sort of creative outlet, even if it means I'll be reviewing DVD's and ranting about the Mets woes. Writing has always comforted me, much like holding a baseball in my hand, whether I'm playing ball or not. I need to do something other than watch WWF DVD's and order Toppers. Working out at the gym is ok, but I kind of feel like I'm pretending to be someone I'm not when I'm working out. I always make that face to people walking in........you know the face.......the Just another night burning these pesky calories face. As if to say, "This comes easy for me, ladies." It doesn't. I'm better at writing than I am on a bike, and I don't pant for the next 2 hours afterwards.

So, I'm writing again. What's on my mind tonight? No baseball. The NL lost the All Star Game last night. The last time they won the All Star Game was 1996. Three months after the NL won their last All Star Game, I lost my virginity. I feel like I've jinxed them. I have no idea what it's like to see the NL win an All Star game, and follow it up with 6 minutes of the No-Pants Dance. No idea!

I bought MTV's the State on DVD yesterday. Although I am a huge SNL fan (I was born 9 days before SNL premiered in 1975), The State was my show. A handful of my friends are as excited as me to view these episodes, but most of my friends could care less. My girlfriend was 12 when The State debuted, and I'm not sure she's ever heard of or seen the show. Moser was a Kids in the Hall guy, who has kind of warmed up to The State, but mostly because of Reno 911. Consider this an open invitation to Tom Hnasko and Jennifer Shukoski to come to my place for a night of The State. I'll make the popcorn....

Well, it's back to work for me tomorrow morning. I just got back from taking my family on vacation. We went to the Dells, and I am sunburnt. I am so badly sunburnt, that I am actually dictating this to a neighbor kid for $3 and the rest of my Pepperoni Combos in the kitchen. Thanks, Jimmy. Time for bed....

1 comment:

  1. Oddly enough, I had never heard of "The State" until earlier today. (Unlike your girlfriend, I was 39 when it debuted.) I heard of it during an interview with two guys who were on the show--Michael Ian Black and Michael Showalter. They have a new Comedy Central show called "Michael and Michael Have Issues," in which they play two neurotic sketch-comedy writers. (You can listen to the interview: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=106605364 )

    Well, Joey--I'm honored to be the first person to comment on your blog. (I should add that I've never commented on or been a follower of anyone's blog before.)

    Keep writing, my friend!

    ReplyDelete