Sunday, May 18, 2014

Fugazzi Grand III : My Top 500 Albums (#230)

(#230, Rockin' the Suburbs by Ben Folds)

I've told this story many times, it's worth telling again.  From mid 2000 to early 2002, I worked four ten hour days ... Mondays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays.  On the morning of 9/11, which was a Tuesday, I woke up around 9:00am, and turned on ESPNews to get some scores from the previous night.  I noticed that many of the scheduled games were cancelled.  Then I noticed that they all were.  Didn't think anything of it.  Then I went to Best Buy to buy this record, and the new Jay-Z record.  The cashier was crying.  I couldn't figure out why.   So I went back home, and called my mom and asked if something happened today (not thinking to check ANY OTHER STATION on cable), and she scolded me for not being aware of what was going on.  It wasn't mean spirited, it was more like, "life is more than just sports".  Now I always make sure to check before I leave the house.

This album is Ben Folds' first solo effort.  It's ironic that after recording three albums that didn't feature any guitar, his highest charting single is the title track from this album, which features guitar.  It's like Van Halen being known most for "Jump", which features a synthesizer.  This album is chalk full of great songs ..."Annie Waits", "Zak and Sara", "Still Fighting It", the incredibly sad "Fred Jones Part 2". and the incredibly touching "The Luckiest".  Ben Folds has replaced Billy Joel as my go to piano based singer-songwriter over the past 15 years, and hell yeah, I'm excited that the boys were able to tour and record again, hopefully more to come in the future.

I want to share "Fred Jones Part 2" and "The Luckiest" with you.  Both songs bring me to tears ...




No comments:

Post a Comment