Saturday, August 14, 2010

Fugazzi Grand (1000-981)

And now, the most anticipated playlist of all time (I'm so full of my self....such a self-promoter). MMM, I think we gotta start it with a positive jam....

1000. "Positive Jam" (The Hold Steady, Almost Killed Me, 2004)
Becoming one of my favorite bands, saw them for the first time at Summerfest.

999. "#2 in the Home Model Series" (Guided By Voices, Vampire on Titus, 1992)
Robert Pollard is the most prolific songwriter of all time. "My favorite son has found, my favorite son has found my gun"

998. "Fix Up, Look Sharp" (Dizzee Rascal, Boy in da Corner, 2004)
I think this was a Tiffany Herrera referral, I love the combination of hip hop and Billy Squier samples.

997. "The Delivery Man" (Elvis Costello, The Delivery Man, 2004)
"In a certain light, he looked like Elvis. In a certain way, he felt like Jesus". Your oldest friends are not always your best friends. Billy Joel is my oldest friend, musically speaking, but I think Elvis Costello is my best friend.

996. "Sell Sell Sell" (Barenaked Ladies, Maroon, 2000)
I think this is my favorite BNL record, this is a great story, and fun to sing in the car.

995. "Slowly (Oh So Slowly) (Conor Oberst and the Mystic Valley Band, Outer South, 2009)
Not much into the Bright Eyes records, but I love this one.

994. "Ballerina" (Mike McGlone, To Be Down, 2002)
Mike McGlone is best known for playing Patrick in "The Brothers McMullen" or Francis in "She's the One", but he's also an accomplished musician. He's currently known for doing those Rod Serlingesque Geico commercials. Great voice over guy, too. Very talented.

993. "Heaven Beside You" (Alice in Chains, Alice in Chains, 1995)
We miss your contributions to music, Layne Staley.

992. "Tangled Up in Blue" (Bob Dylan, Dylan, 2007)
I don't own any Bob Dylan records, just a compilation box set called Dylan. I was "late to lunch" with Dylan, but I'm sure if I do this list again 20 years from now, he will have a lot more entries.

991. "All My Life" (Foo Fighters, One by One, 2002)
One of my favorite bands, awesome live. This is the last song of the 1st of 100 playlists in Fugazzi Grand. "Done, done, on to the next one"

990. "Miss You" (The Rolling Stones, Some Girls, 1978)
I would have loved to seen these guys in their prime.

989. "Burndt Jamb" (Weezer, Maladroit, 2002)
This record was highly anticipated as the follow up to "The Green Album". The band would post the demos as they were recording them, which was kind of neat. Maladroit will always be a favorite.

988. "Valotte" (Julian Lennon, Valotte, 1984)
For the longest time, I thought this was John Lennon. It's a great song either way.

987. "Spoon" (Dave Matthews Band, Before These Crowded Streets, 1998)
This is the duet with Alanis. Great mood, a great finisher to a great album.

986. "Can You Feel the Love Tonight?" (Elton John, The Lion King, 1994)
I'm sure I'll be made fun of for some songs, but Elton John is one of my all time favorite vocalists, and this is a great vocal.

985. "Life Goes By" (The Special Goodness, Land Air Sea, 2003)
Pat Wilson's baby. The drummer for Weezer is also a really good guitar player, and put out a few albums as "The Special Goodness".

984. "Karma Chameleon" (Culture Club, At Worst... , 1983)
Wasn't sure this would make it, but I couldn't escape its catchiness. You win Boy George. You always do.

983. "Allentown" (Billy Joel, The Nylon Curtain, 1982)
I wonder if I have this to low. Damnit, it's too late.

982. "Do You Know What It Means to Miss New Orleans" (Harry Connick Jr, 20, 1988)
I love this version, a duet with Dr John. Connick is an all time favorite, whatever he does.

981. "100 Days, 100 Nights" (Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings, 100 Days 100 Nights, 2007)
The very first song I ever heard on my Paste samplers. If you haven't heard of it, Paste is an awesome music magazine. You can subscribe to their digital version, and for $2.98 a month, you get the magazine, 2 albums and a 20 song playlist every month. Great deal, and great music.

1 comment:

  1. The eighties nearly killed me let's not recall it quite so fondly.

    ReplyDelete