Saturday, August 28, 2010

Fugazzi Grand (720-701)

720. "Bound for the Floor" (Local H, As Good As Dead, 1996)
When I saw them open for STP in 1996, I thought they were awful, but I still like this recording.

719. "Fly Away" (Lenny Kravitz, 5, 1998)
Roxie Roker and a nice Jewish man make love, and 34 years later, the product of that love writes and records a song that ends up on this list 12 years after that.

718. "Everybody Wants You" (Billy Squier, Absolute Hits, 1982)
I enjoy "Chuck", I just don't get it.

717. "A More Perfect Union" (Titus Andronicus, The Monitor, 2010)
Matt Schewe coming through again. Saw them on Fallon last night, and they rocked.

716. "White, Discussion" (Live, Throwing Copper, 1994)
"I talk of freedom, and you talk of the flag"

715. "For Your Love" (The Yardbirds, Shape of Things, 1965)
I read that Eric Clapton hated playing on this song.

714. "Tennessee Rose" (The Deep Vibration, Veracruz, 2008)
Awesome E.P.

713. "Whoomp! There It Is" (Tag Team, Whoomp! There It Is, 1993)
"slam dunk it, stick it, flip it and ride that B double O T Y, oh my"

712. "Modern Woman" (Billy Joel, The Bridge, 1986)
Musically, I don't know what the heck is going on here, but it's a lot of fun to sing.

711. "Wash Jones" (Squirrel Nut Zippers, The Inevitable, 1995)
I miss the zippers.

710. "Run-Around" (Blues Traveler, Four, 1994)
This song and "Hootie" owned 1994.

709. "My Egyptian Grammar" (The Fiery Furnaces, Widow City, 2007)
It's so hard to explain this band's sound, but I love what I hear.

708. "When I'm Sixty Four" (The Beatles, Sgt Pepper's, 1967)
Three of my top ten favorite albums of all time are Beatles records, and this is most certainly one of them.

707. "On Your Birthday" (Jim Boggia, Misadventures in Stereo, 2008)
Add this to the pile of great artists I would have never known without Paste.

706. "Come Pick Me Up" (Ryan Adams, Heartbreaker, 2000)
What a great album. I will never tire of this.

705. "Cinder and Smoke" (Iron & Wine, Our Endless Numbered Days, 2004)
It took some time, but I'm really into this now. There was a stretch last month where I listened to this album twice a day for about two weeks.

704. "I Want to Hold Your Hand" (The Beatles, Meet the Beatles, 1964)
I know Rolling Stone has this as the 2nd greatest Beatles song of all time, but I can, and will name many other Beatles songs that I prefer to this one. It's still great though.

703. "Lazybones" (Harry Connick Jr, 25, 1992)
As I type this, I realize that I should have ranked this song much higher. I sing this all the time to Gracie, this should be way higher, but I promised not to make any changes once I started to reveal the list. I guess some mistakes will happen on a list of this size.

702. "Right Hand on My Heart" (The Whigs, Mission Control, 2008)
Decent record, and one of the better Paste songs from 2008.

701. "Southtown Girls" (The Hold Steady, Boys & Girls in America, 2006)
This might be their best album.

1 comment: