Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Fugazzi Grand (780-761)

780. "Airbag" (Radiohead, OK Computer, 1997)
This is the album most of my friends say is "genius", and it look a long time for me to get into it. I appreciate Radiohead, but I can't say I'm a huge fan. I have to be in the right mood, and I don't know if a Radiohead live show would be best suited for me. That being said, the recordings are really good, and there are a few songs that I had to include here.

779. "Unbelievable" (EMF, Party Hard 2000, 1990)
This reminds me of high school.

778. "Old Dirt Hill" (Dave Matthews Band, Stand Up, 2005)
Haven't really liked the long players since "Before These Crowded Streets", but every DMB album has some instant classics. I really like this tune.

777. "Sorry Seems to Be the Hardest Word" (Elton John, Blue Moves, 1976)
Elton John: the essential album artist of the 70's.

776. "She" (Elvis Costello, The Very Best..., 1999)
A beautiful song, not much more to say.

775. "Muscle n Flo" (Menomena, Friend and Foe, 2007)
A nod to Matt Schewe for this tasty referral. I see my editor, Danny Forst, is also a fan.

774. "Everywhere With Helicoptor" (Guided By Voices, Universal Truths and Cycles, 2002)
Classic Pollard.

773. "Places Named After Numbers" (Frank Black, Frank Black, 1993)
Eventually, I will start to fill out my Pixies and Black Francis collection. This is awesome.

772. "Sleeping With the Television On" (Billy Joel, Glass Houses, 1980)
This album will always, always be a "desert island disc" for me. There is not an album I've listened to more in my life, and I don't see a new champion anytime soon.

771. "Breakup Song" (Greg Kihn, True Kihnfessions, 1981)
This song reminds me of living in Mauston. Big radio hit when we lived up there.

770. "Sweet Dreams" (Eurythmics, Ultimate, 1983)
Annie Lennox has one of the best voices I've ever heard. I have a great cover of her doing "Bridge Over Troubled Water" on my ipod, and it's one of the most played songs in my iTunes.

769. "Swimming Pools" (Thao, We Brave Bee Stings and All, 2008)
This is a running theme: if I stumble upon an unused $10,000 iTunes gift card anytime soon, this will be a definite purchase.

768. "Peaches" (PUSA, PUSA, 1995)
I call them PUSA, because I'm an arrogant prick.

767. "Young Turks" (Rod Stewart, The Very Best..., 1981)
Not sure what a "turk" is, and I'm not sure he's saying "Young Turks". The owner of one of my favorite pizzeria's, Leonardo's in Mequon, quoted this song in his senior yearbook.

766. "Travelin' Prayer" (Billy Joel, Piano Man, 1973)
When I started dating Amber, I burned a playlist for her with this song as the opening track, because of her 2 hour drives home. Always been a favorite of mine.

765. "Paperback Writer" (The Beatles, Single, 1966)
Everytime I place a Beatles song on this list, I'm amazed at how low I have it ranked. This song is amazing! And I am a paperback writer...so I should have ranked it higher.

764. "Bits and Pieces" (The Dave Clark Five, The Hits, 2008)
These guys do not get the recogntion they deserve, they were hit making machines in the 60's, and the inspiration for the movie, "That Thing You Do", written by Tom Hanks. This is his favorite band.

763. "Soft Pedals" (Modern Skirts, All of Us in Our Night, 2008)
I wish I would have seen them at Summerfest this year. This is a great song, and quite an enjoyable record.

762. "The Mess We're In" (PJ Harvey, Stories from the City, 2000)
A wonderful duet with Thom Yorke. "The Roper" got me into PJ Harvey last year.

761. "Sympathy for the Devil" (The Rolling Stones, Beggars Banquet, 1968)
Forgive me if I've already said this, but I would have given anything to see these guys in their prime, in a huge stadium.

No comments:

Post a Comment