Sunday, August 15, 2010

Fugazzi Grand (960-941)

960. "Say Goodbye to Hollywood" (Billy Joel, Turnstiles, 1976)
"Life is a series of hellos and goodbyes, I'm afraid, it's time for goodbye again."

959. "Catch My Disease" (Ben Lee, Awake is the New Sleep, 2005)
Another great song discovered on a Paste sampler.

958. "Bulldozer" (Datarock, Datarock Datarock, 2007)
Bought this on impulse about a year ago, never having heard of the band. Not sure what made me want to buy it, but I'm glad I did. And their new one is at the library right now!

957. "Chop Suey!" (System of a Down, Toxicity, 2001)
One of the more interesting singles of the past 10 years.

956. "Gun Street Girl" (Tom Waits, Rain Dogs, 1985)
Waits is an acquired taste, hell, it took me years and years to get into him, but this is one of my favorites of his.

955 "Sweetest Thing" (U2, Best of 80-90, 1998)
Just a great pop song.

954. "Sour Girl" (Stone Temple Pilots, No. 4, 1999)
"She turned away, what was she looking at ?"

953. "I'll Cry Instead" (Billy Joel, My Lives, 1982)
This is a cover of a Beatles song, but I love this version, great vocal, he really seems to be having fun with this one.

952. "I've Found a New Baby" (Squirrel Nut Zippers, The Inevitable, 1995)
This is a fun band, great song, and I need more from them.

951. "Just a Friend" (Biz Markie, Biz's Baddest Beats, 1989)
I remember Jermain Jones used to sing this all the time. It's timeless.

950. "Don't Ask Me Why" (Billy Joel, Glass Houses, 1980)
This is one of my all time favorite albums, and certainly the one I've listened to the most. Great sing-along song, another favorite of my daughter's.

949. "That's All" (Genesis, Turn It On Again, 1983)
Maria will hate me for including a Phil Collins led Genesis song, but I love this one.

948. "Rubber Biscuit" (The Chips, Doo Wop Classics, 1956)
Has been used in a bunch of movies, notably "Coupe de Ville", the Blues Brothers used to perform it, very fun song.

947. "The New Style" (Beastie Boys, Licensed to Ill, 1986)
"and we're puttin' it on wax!"

946. "Single Ladies (Put a Ring On It) (Beyonce, I Am...Sasha Fierce, 2008)
Hellacatchy.

945. "Sexbomb" (Tom Jones, Reloaded, 2003)
Goddamn, I love Tom Jones, especially when he does something like this. Thanks, Megan!

944. "Wild Thing" (The Troggs, Wild Thing, 1966)
This is a classic, no matter how you slice it.

943. "Golfshirt" (Nerf Herder, Nerf Herder, 1996)
This whole album is tongue in cheek, but I've always come back to it.

942. "The Heat is On" (Glenn Frey, Best of , 1984)
I'm sure my grandchildren's grandchildren will look back and say, "Did he really think that was a Top Thousand song?" Remember, this isn't a list of "best", it's "favorite". It's so cheesy, but I love nachos.

941. "Jefferson Jericho Blues" (Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers, Mojo, 2010)
Off of the new album, they still got it.

No comments:

Post a Comment