Sunday, August 29, 2010

Fugazzi Grand (700-681)

700. "Annie Waits" (Ben Folds, Rockin the Suburbs, 2001)
I'll give you the short version. I did not work Tuesdays in 2001, and on 9/11, I woke up, showered and went to Best Buy to buy this record, and wondered all the way home why the cashier seemed to have been crying. Lesson learned is that I check the news before buying records now.

699. "Never Had Nobody Like You" (M Ward, Hold Time, 2009)
Not too happy that Matt sold out to a beer commercial, though.

698. "Supply and Demand" (Amos Lee, Supply and Demand, 2006)
Gonna be at Farm Aid at Miller Park on my birthday.

697. "Earth & Venus" (Andy Davis, Let the Woman, 2007)
This was an impulse buy after seeing an ad in Paste. Not on the sampler, not even a review, just the ad. It paid off.

696. "You Know I'm No Good" (Amy Winehouse, Back to Black, 2007)
Featuring the Dap-Kings !

695. "Prizefighter" (Eels, Hombre Lobo, 2009)
Mark Oliver Everett, you sad, brilliant bastard you.

694. "No One Knows" (Queens of the Stone Age, Songs for the Deaf, 2002)
One of the better rock songs of the past 10 years.

693. "Baloney Again" (Mark Knopfler, Sailing to Philadelphia, 2000)
This song is important to me.

692. "Magic" (Olivia Newton-John, Gold, 1980)
Kind of a disco feel to it, I've always dug it.

691. "Der Kommissar" (After the Fire, Radio Hits of the 80's, 1983)
Another song that just screams 80's.

690. "1901" (Phoenix, Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix, 2009)
This is a band I will keep an eye on for a while.

689. "Summersong" (The Decemberists, The Crane Wife, 2006)
The Decemberists are the masters of the concept album in the 21st century.

688. "Father Lucifer" (Tori Amos, Boys For Pele, 1996)
This is one of my favorite headphones records. Turn off the rest of the world for an hour and feel the pain.

687. "Friendly Fire" (Sean Lennon, Friendly Fire, 2006)
I know my dad doesn't want to hear this, but this is a really good record.

686. "Amoreena" (Elton John, Tumbleweed Connection, 1970)
Used in the opening credits of "Dog Day Afternoon".

685. "Nights on Broadway" (Bee Gees, Main Course, 1975)
A huge thank you to Jimmy Fallon and Justin Timberlake for creating one of my all time favorite SNL sketches. Of course, this is the song they are doing a parody of.

684. "Two States" (Pavement, Slanted and Enchanted, 1992)
One of the best albums of the 90's.

683. "You Better You Bet" (The Who, Face Dances, 1981)
One day, I'm gonna sit down and really dive into the old Who stuff, and figure out if I like this band or if I don't. Either way, I'll always love this song.

682. "In the Garage" (Weezer, The Blue Album, 1994)
Most of what I wrote before I released my first book last year stayed "in the garage".

681. "Beverly Hills" (Weezer, Make Believe, 2005)
One of the few highlights of what is by far their worst record. This album only has about 4 or 5 songs that I like, the rest is shit. I may shave the bad ones off, and call this an E.P.

1 comment: