Monday, August 23, 2010

Fugazzi Grand (820-801)

820. "You! Me! Dancing!" (Los Campesinos, Hold On Now Youngster, 2008)
Called Kemper a few years back and said, "I'm at Best Buy. Make a recommendation for me. This was what he chose. Thank you !

819. "Rock Problems" (The Hold Steady, Heaven is Whenever, 2010)
These guys put out straight forward rock n roll records that I love.

818. "Change the Locks" (Tom Petty, She's the One, 1996)
Great movie, one of my favorites, and one of the better songs from the soundtrack.

817. "Mutiny" (William Elliott Whitmore, Animals in the Dark, 2009)
I've turned my boy Jamie on to this recently. Not physically...

816. "Things Have Changed (Down in Mexico City)" (Robert Pollard, Elephant Jokes, 2009)
Every Pollard album has 3 or 4 instant classics, and this is one of them.

815. "Grind" (Alice in Chains, Alice in Chains, 1995)
It would have been fun to see where this band could have gone.

814. "Dear God (Sincerely M.O.F.)" (Monsters of Folk, Monsters of Folk, 2009)
Another great supergroup, the Roots recently sampled this.

813. "Shot With His Own Gun" (Elvis Costello, Trust, 1981)
This is actually the first Elvis Costello record I ever owned.

812. "Come on Eileen" (Dexy's Midnight Runners, 80's Gold, 80's)
Recently voted the greatest one hit wonder of all time.

811. "And So It Goes" (Billy Joel, Storm Front, 1989)
"and every time I've held a rose, it seems I only felt the thorns..."

810. "Welcome to the Working Week" (Elvis Costello, My Aim is True, 1978)
I hope you like Elvis Costello, there is more where this came from, as you've already seen.

809. "California Girls" (The Magnetic Fields, Distortion, 2008)
I'm really intrigued by this band.

808. "MamaDaddyDid" (Paul Westerberg, Eventually, 1996)
Todd Kemper's favorite artist (yes?), I need to get more of the Replacements stuff.

807. "Dry the Rain" (The Beta Band, The Three E.P.'s, 1997)
Hey, Tim Vertz, whenever you get a chance...

806. "Blank State" (The National, Boxer, 2007)
I have to see these guys live.

805. "Angel of Harlem" (U2, Rattle and Hum, 1988)
I don't agree that they are the greatest band in the world, but they do have a handful of songs that I think are amazing.

804. "The Things We Do for Love" (10cc, 20th Century Masters, 1977)
Just a really poppy song sung by creepy lookin' dudes.

803. "Kylie From Connecticut" (Ben Folds, Way To Normal, 2008)
I've been hit or miss on Ben Folds as of late, but this is far and away the best track on his latest album.

802. "God" (John Lennon, Working Class Hero, 1970)
"God is a concept, by which we measure our pain." A truer lyric has never been written.

801. "Alive" (Pearl Jam, Ten, 1991)
It's strange. The less relevant they become, the more I embrace their first two records.

1 comment:

  1. your nugget of wisdom regarding Pearl Jam hits home for me. (nods)

    ReplyDelete