Sunday, April 27, 2014

Fugazzi Grand III : My Top 500 Albums (#266 and #265)

(#266, Songs for Silverman by Ben Folds)

People ask me all the time, was Gracie named after track 5 ?  The answer is no.  Grace is a family name, and I've always loved Jeff Buckley's album of the same name, but when Heather and I heard this song for the first time in April of 2005, we had already chosen the name.  Needless to say, the first time we heard it, we cried.  And I still do today.  Ben Folds has become one of my favorite songwriters of the last 20 years, and this is a solid collection of piano laced pop.







Here's "Gracie".  Which song did you think I was going to pick ?



And here's Gracie ...












































(#265, MTV Unplugged by Tony Bennett)

Ladies and gentlemen, the greatest singer that ever lived ...

Anthony Dominick "Tony" Benedetto 

This won the Grammy for Album of the Year in 1995, and introduced a whole new generation to Bennett and his voice.  When I saw Tony Bennett join Billy Joel on stage at Shea Stadium in 2008 for New York State of Mind, it was one of the biggest thrills of my life, and I will be seeing my first Tony Bennett show in June.  You know I'll be dressed to the nines that night.  



This is "They Can't Take That Away From Me", with another all time favorite, Elvis Costello ...




No comments:

Post a Comment