Friday, April 4, 2014

Fugazzi Grand III : My Top 500 Albums (#314 and #313)

(#314, Canary in a Coal Mine by Anna Vogelzang)

In March of 2013, I traveled to Madison to see a Nataly Dawn show, and was fortunate that night to meet and hear Anna Vogelzang for the very first time as the evening's first performer.  In fact, I liked the performance so much, that I knew that evening she would be featured on newgazzi Vol 3, and Anna ended up being the first artist ever to be featured twice in the same newgazzi playlist.  I bought two of her records that night and listened to them on the drive home.  The songs here are genuine and there is a warmth to the music that many of today's artists lack.  I've had the pleasure now of seeing Anna perform three times, and I can't wait to see what she does next.


Here are the two songs that were featured on newgazzi Vol 3 ... "Undertow" and "One and Only" ...






(#313, Transatlanticism by Death Cab For Cutie)

I remember reading record reviews in The Onion in late 2003, and reading about this album.  I wasn't familiar with them, but I've been known from time to time to purchase records on impulse based solely on what I've read, and that's exactly what I did hear.  It wasn't too long afterwards that I had saw them live, and within a few weeks of that show, bought a few more of their albums. The musicianship of this band is incredible, and this record captures some of their best recorded pieces.  "Title and Registration" features one of my favorite Ben Gibbard lyrics ... "the glove compartment, is inaccurately named ... and everybody knows it, so I'm proposing a swift orderly change.  Cause behind its doors, there's nothing to keep my fingers warm".


Here's "The Sound of Settling" ...

No comments:

Post a Comment