Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Fugazzi Grand III : My Top 500 Albums (#306 and #305)

(#306, I'll Be Lightning by Liam Finn)

Liam Finn was featured on the first Paste sampler I ever heard, and "Second Chance" was one of my favorite songs from that playlist.  Hell, I ever named my financial education workshop Second Chance.  Liam Finn is the son of Crowded House frontman Neil Finn,  and Liam played most of the instruments on this record.  While I wasn't crazy about his next record, FOMO, it appears that he's releasing a new record, The Nihilist, in May, and I may have to check it out.







This is "Second Chance", from Letterman ...




(#305, Monster by R.E.M.)

Does anyone remember the Columbia Record Club, where you'd send them a penny (an actual penny), and they'd send you like a dozen albums of your choosing, as long as you committed to buying another ten albums, or something like that ... my mom belonged when I was a kid, and i joined in 1997.  This was one of the albums I chose .... NOW I REMEMBER HOW I DISCOVERED NERF HERDER !!!

As you will find out throughout the rest of the year, R.E.M. were my favorite album artists of the 1980's, and had some great records in the 90's as well.  This particular record features a fuzzier guitar sound than normally heard on an R.E.M. album, but the integrity of the music has not been compromised.  There are some really good songs on this album, personal favorites of mine are "What's the Frequency, Kenneth?", "I Don't Sleep, I Dream", "Tongue" and "Circus Envy".

Here is "What's the Frequency, Kenneth?" ...

No comments:

Post a Comment