Wednesday, April 23, 2014

newgazzi Vol 15

Let's keep the momentum going!  Since I've been writing newgazzi, I've posted 1.553 times, and the last two volumes of the monthly newgazzi playlist are the 5th most read (newgazzi Vol 13), and 7th most read (newgazzi Vol 14) posts in the history of my blog.   It's you, the newgazzi readers, as well as the great musicians that make this all possible.  Thank you to all !  Enjoy Volume 15 ...


Track #1 ("Milwaukee" by The Both, from the LP The Both)

Aimee Mann and Ted Leo come together to make an indie rock record.  Hard to believe she's 53.  That means I want to have sex with a 53 year old.  If you're reading this, Aimee, don't take me seriously.  That's just how boys talk.  Last night, I ordered a bacon grilled cheese at the ballpark, took a picture of the sandwich, and told my buddy Gary that I wanted to fuck it.  I'm not well.

To read a short review of the record from Rolling Stone, click here








Track #2 ("Broken Glass" by Jack Savoretti, from the Sweet Hurt - EP)

This is an early favorite for song of the year.  I know it's only April, but right now, this is the song to beat, and I think I'm going to have to make some time for this gentlemen's past work.

Check out his official website right here














Track #3 ("I'll Be Your Villain" by Fan Modine, from the LP Cause Célèbre)

Hey, this is a great song, and I just taught myself how to type those fancy vowels!!

This was the first song I chose this month, and it's been playing constantly in my home for weeks.

You can hear a taste of I'll Be Your Villain, as well as the rest of the album's tracks on iTunes, which can be accessed here








Track #4 ("White T-Shirt and Jeans" by Dinosaur Pile-Up, from the LP Nature Nurture)

Every great playlist needs a solid clean up hitter, and if this song was an American League DH, it would hit 43 homers and knock in 122.  These are baseball references.

Here is a review of their new record ...














Track #5 ("Girls Chase Boys" by Ingrid Michaelson, from the LP Lights Out)

It sounds as if Ingrid Michaelson has gone to a poppier sound for her latest record, at least that's the impression I get with this song.  I've always liked her, and I sense that she's really hitting her stride on this album.

For all things Ingrid Michaelson, click here

And check out the video below as she pays homage to Robert Palmer ...










Track #6 ("Pamela" by Bart Davenport, from the LP Physical World)

I don't know much about Bart Davenport, but I can tell you that I spent about an hour dissecting this record about a week ago.  This is one of the better albums of 2014 thus far, and I could have went with any of these songs for the playlist.

For more about Bart, click here














Track #7 ("Work on Me" by Joan Osborne, from the LP Love and Hate)

Joan Osborne owns one of my favorite voices on the planet, and I knew as soon as I heard the first few notes of this song that she would have a safe spot on this month's playlist.   Pretty cool album art, too !

Here is her official website ...













Track #8 ("Cold" by Novo Amor, from the Woodgate, NY - EP)

Let the Bon Iver comparisons begin.  There is certainly room for both ...

The entire EP can be heard here, and can be purchased at iTunes.













Track #9 ("Ain't Got Anything Left" by Nerina Pallot, from the When the Morning Stars Sang Together EP)

I have found another voice to die for.  I'm surprised I haven't heard of Nerina Pallot, and discovered her just a few nights ago, as this was the second to last song I chose for this month's playlist.

Here is her website.

You can hear snippets of each song on the EP right here, as it is available for purchase on iTunes.






Track #10 ("Bayhouse" by Save the Arcadian, from the That Bright Tide EP)

Every month, I find a few of these tunes by accident, usually when I'm browsing at 1:30 in the morning.  I was very pleased to find this a few nights ago, and I guess the band name is some sort of How I Met Your Mother reference, whether that was their intention or not.  Either way, the tune, and the EP are definitely worth checking out.

This is their website.











Track #11 ("Alabama Coldcock" by Black Pistol Fire, from the LP Hush or Howl)

So about nine months ago, the White Stripes and the Black Keys made love, and the product of that love is Black Pistol Fire.  If you are a fan of either, check these guys out.

Check out their website here














Track #12 ("Spinning Signs" by Painted Palms, from the LP Forever)

This was the last song to make this month's list, another one I kind of found by accident.  But that's what makes newgazzi exciting for me, is finding stuff I may never have heard if it wasn't for the playlist.  Now they have a fan for life.

Check out their website here, and check out the tune, set to scenes from "Her".













Track #13 ("Selkie" by Tori Amos, from the LP Unrepentant Geraldines)

From what I've heard and read, this might be Tori Amos's best album in 20 years, and I really look forward to listening to it soon.  But we'll have to wait three more weeks ...

Check out her website, right here

Click here to hear a sampling of "Selkie"










Track #14 ("Eyeballs" by Pillar Point, from the LP Pillar Point)

I'm not too familiar with Pillar Point, but I certainly like what I've heard over the past few weeks.  I'm looking forward to hearing more in the future.

This is the official website of Pillar Point.














Track #15 ("Heavy Bells" by J Roddy Walston & The Business, from the LP Essential Tremors)

How's about a little rock and roll to round out newgazzi Vol 15.  Great song, great energy!

Check out their website here

















































No comments:

Post a Comment