Thursday, April 17, 2014

Fugazzi Grand III : My Top 500 Albums (#286 and #285)

(#286, Sports by Huey Lewis and The News)

This one's for Jason Sherry.  That kid loves two things on this planet.  The Legion of Doom and Hugh Anthony Cregg's grandson.  Now, if there's anyone who was alive in 1984, was conscious and claims they did not like this record, well my friend, you are a liar and I don't know if I can trust you.

This album pretty much owned the mid-80's, with five singles being released, four of those five cracking the top 10.  These guys have built quite the reputation over the years as a decent live band, despite pretty much being out of the limelight for the past 25 years or so.




Here's "If This Is It", but I really could have gone with any song on this album ...




(#285, Mighty Like a Rose by Elvis Costello)

The year that Elvis appeared on SNL with the giant beard and unkempt hair, I remember thinking "What the hell happened to this guy?".  I wasn't even a fan at the time.  In fact, I don't think I became a fan of his until he and Bacharach appeared in the Austin Powers flick.  Now, I consider him one of my favorite artists of all time.  Costello describes this as an "angry" record, as many of the songs were recorded during The Gulf War in 1990-91.








This is "The Other Side of Summer" ...

No comments:

Post a Comment