Friday, April 11, 2014

Fugazzi Grand III : My Top 500 Albums (#300 and #299)

(#300, Ghost Tropic by Songs: Ohia)

This isn't dance music.  I don't know many people that are familiar with Jason Molina and his music, and I discovered him for the first time in 2009 while reading a review of what would be his last proper album, Magnolia Electric Co.'s Josephine.  Shortly after I became a fan of his, I found a used copy of this at Exclusive Co. for only $2.99.  You can't beat that.  While I may never pull this out on the treadmill or as fantasy football draft mood music, I still love what Jason Molina gave us, and I am still discovering a lot of it.






This is "The Body Burned Away" ...




(#299, Tumbleweed Connection by Elton John)

Elton John's country album, maybe not so much musically, but thematically.  I really wasn't too familiar with Elton John's albums until 1994.  After I heard that he was going to be touring with Billy Joel for a bunch of stadium shows, I bought The Very Best of Elton John, and after that epic show at County Stadium, I started to slowly build my Elton John collection.  Over the years, I really only embraced the albums from the 70's.  In fact, the only two Elton John albums I've enjoyed since 1976's Blue Moves are 1995's Made in England and last year's The Diving Board.  "Come Down in Time'' and "Amoreena" are two of my all time favorite Elton John songs.




Here's "Amoreena", featured in the opening credits of Al Pacino's "Dog Day Afternoon" ...

No comments:

Post a Comment