Sunday, September 26, 2010

Fugazzi Grand (100-81)

100. "Great Balls of Fire" (Jerry Lee Lewis, 1957)
This is rock and roll, the very definition.

99. "She Loves You" (The Beatles, The Beatles Second Album, 1964)
The first taste of the Beatles in America was this song.

98. "MMM MMM MMM MMM" (Crash Test Dummies, God Shuffled His Feet, 1993)
Quite possibly the least likely song to make the top 100, a very unique vocal styling, the lyrics are a bit strange, but I connect to it.

97. "Steppin Out" (Joe Jackson, Night and Day, 1982)
I have to get this remastered. This song continues to climb the charts for me personally.

96. "Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da" (The Beatles, The White Album, 1968)
This was probably the first Beatles song that I really enjoyed.

95. "Island in the Sun" (Weezer, The Green Album, 2001)
I remember when I bought this in 2001, it had been 5 years since their last record. I had just gotten divorced, and I wore the shit out of this album, for almost a year. This is great, and I've heard some great live versions, covers and remixes. Great, great song.

94. "Authority Song" (John Mellencamp, Uh-Huh, 1983)
Kind of looks like a young Brett Favre in the video. Another song that is on a ton of my playlists over the years.

93. "Hey Jude" (The Beatles, 1968)
Get used to seeing a lot of Beatles songs the rest of the way. Obviously, this could have been ranked a lot higher, really, all of the songs from here on out are all time favorites of mine, the order is somewhat trivial when you get this far.

92. "Girls of Wild Strawberries" (Guided By Voices, Half Smiles of the Decomposed, 2004)
This was their last album, and this is the best song off of that album.

91. "Leave a Tender Moment Alone" (Billy Joel, An Innocent Man, 1983)
Goddamn it, I love this song, I guess that's assumed at this point, huh? I sing this at least once a week, be it in the car or shower.

90. "What You Wish For" (Guster, Lost and Gone Forever, 1999)
Get ready to make fun of Joey! This was what I called the first playlist I made for Amber. This was track one.

89. "Magic" (Ben Folds Five, The Unauthorized Biography of Reinhold Messner, 1999)
A very sad song, I don't know why, but I feel something personal in these lyrics, but I can't put my finger on it.

88. "Stand By Me" (Ben E King, 1961)
My favorite movie, incredible song, not much more to say.

87. "Billie Jean" (Michael Jackson, Thriller, 1982)
When I hear this song, or see the video, it still feels like an event.

86. "Tired of Sex" (Weezer, Pinkerton, 1996)
For Weezer to sell millions of their self-titled debut, and come back with this is the ballsiest move in the history of popular music. This did not get great reviews, fans rejected it at first, but now 14 years later, they are re-issuing it, and touring to play it in it's entirety. This is my favorite weezer record, and in my top 5 of all time.

85. "Crackerman" (Stone Temple Pilots, Core, 1992)
Mike Moser's favorite STP song, too.

84. "Waiting on a Friend" (The Rolling Stones, Tattoo You, 1981)
The video had like a $300 budget, but this song is just amazing. Not your father's Rolling Stones sound, but it still works.

83. "No One is To Blame" (Howard Jones, 80's Stripped, 2006)
I went with a stripped down, piano version recorded in 2006. When I heard it for the first time, I thought to myself, "Damn, I used to love that song, now I really love it"

82. "I Get Around" (The Beach Boys, Greatest Hits, 1964)
I decided about a year ago that I'm not a fan of "Pet Sounds", but I still love this song a ton.

81. "Sunshine of Your Love" (Cream, Disraeli Gears, 1967)
Completely awesome, and I heard Billy Joel and his band doing this during rehearsal in 1994 at County Stadium.

No comments:

Post a Comment