Thursday, September 16, 2010

Fugazzi Grand (320-301)

320. "My Head Is in the Sun" (The Rentals, Seven More Minutes, 1999)
I'm not a songwriter, but this is the type of song I wish I had written.

319. "Under the Bridge" (Red Hot Chili Peppers, Blood Sugar Sex Magik, 1991)
You know what he was doing under the bridge, right? Smoking drugs, that's what...still a great song.

318. "You Don't Know How It Feels" (Tom Petty, Wildflowers, 1994)
I have made time for this record at least once a month since the day I bought it.

317. "The Next Messiah" (Jenny Lewis, Acid Tongue, 2008)
My birthday is October 2nd. If you're looking for a birthday gift for me, how's about picking up the new Jenny and Johnny record. I will act surprised....by the way.....fuckin' love this song.

316. "Let Me Tell You About Her" (Elvis Costello, North, 2003)
This album is one of the many reasons that I love Declan MacManus. Such a departure from his other stuff, but it works.

315. "Skyline Pigeon" (Elton John, 1967)
I think this was written before "Your Song" became a hit. Wonderful combination of lyric and melody, and I love the vocal.

314. "Good Times Bad Times" (Led Zeppelin, Led Zeppelin, 1969)
"In the days of my youth, I was told what it means to be a man...."

313. "Bastards of Young" (The Replacements, Tim, 1985)
Tim is my favorite Replacements record. I think I may buy it on vinyl for when I one day own a record player. Gonna buy all the favorites....

312. "Cat's in the Cradle" (Harry Chapin, Verities & Balderdash, 1974)
This is probably on everyone's top 1000 list. It just feels like home.

311. "(Your Love Keeps Lifting Me) Higher & Higher" (Jackie Wilson, 1967)
I've always loved this song, was thrilled when the Boss performed it at his last Milwaukee show. When I say the Boss, I'm referring to Bruce Springsteen, not Joe Dahms.

310. "Night" (Bruce Springsteen, Born to Run, 1975)
Every song on this record seems epic.

309. "I'm So Tired" (The Beatles, The White Album, 1968)
When I was married to Suzy, this was her favorite Beatles album. I couldn't get into it then, but I think it was because she had an older copy, because I love it now. That, and oh yeah, I hated living with Suzy, and that made music sound poor, and food taste bad.

308. "Family Tree" (Ben Kweller, Sha Sha, 2002)
I guess I've soured a bit on Kweller, but I still really like his first record.

307. "We Laugh Indoors" (Death Cab For Cutie, The Photo Album, 2001)
I've heard these guys aren't crazy about this album, and I can't figure out why.

306. "Badlands" (Bruce Springsteen, Darkness on the Edge of Town, 1978)
I hear this is getting the "deluxe reissue" treatment. I'm there.

305. "It's Now or Never" (Elvis Presley)
Even when Rob Schneider sang this on SNL, it was awesome.

304. "Laura" (Billy Joel, The Nylon Curtain, 1982)
There are a few songs on this record that pay homage to the Beatles, and this is one of them. Just a brilliant recording.

303. "I Saw Her Standing There" (Paul McCartney, Good Evening New York City, 2009)
Yes, this is a Beatles song, I know. I took the live version from Citi Field last year, featuring Billy Joel. Damn, I wish I could have been there...

302. "Money For Nothing" (Dire Straits, Brothers in Arms, 1985)
This is the only song on the list that features the word "faggot" three times, which clearly kept them out of the top 300.

301. "Captain Jack" (Billy Joel, Piano Man, 1973)
Matthew Schewe's favorite Billy Joel song, no ?

1 comment: