Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Fugazzi Grand (420-401)

420. "Rocket Man" (Elton John, Honky Chateau, 1972)
Has anyone seen the footage of Bill Shatner singing this? What about Stewie??

419. "Brandy Alexander" (Ron Sexsmith, Exit Strategy of the Soul, 2008)
One of the better artists on this list you've never heard of.

418. "In My Dreams" (Eels, Hombre Lobo, 2009)
"Hombre Lobo" is the first in a trilogy of records, along with "End Times" and "Tomorrow Morning" that you simply have to own.

417. "You Can't Always Get What You Want" (The Rolling Stones, 1969)
Was the choir at the beginning of the song the same one the Peanuts used for "Christmas Time is Here"?

416. "All Over You" (Live, Throwing Copper, 1994)
Hard to explain......everything before and everything since this album have been "blah". But I still come back to this album.

415. "The Ballad of John and Yoko" (The Beatles, 1969)
"Christ, you know it ain't easy...."

414. "What's New Pussycat?" (Tom Jones, 1965)
This guy was born to sing. A lot of his songs may have been considered "gimmicks", but this guy was born to sing.

413. "I Feel Free" (Cream, The Cream of Clapton, 1966)
Not to give too much away, but when I did my Top 100 in 1999, this was number 100.

412. "I'll Never Fall in Love" (Costello & Bacharach, 1999)
As featured in "Austin Powers 2"

411. "Clocks" (Coldplay, A Rush of Blood to the Head, 2002)
I'm not buying these guys as the next "best band in the world", but I do enjoy this song.

410. "Hopelessly Devoted To You" (Olivia Newton-John, Grease, 1978)
My Grandma's favorite movie. I love it, too, as well as the soundtrack.

409. "Sulphur to Sugarcane" (Elvis Costello, 2009)
New album drops in November. This was from his last one (my daughter's favorite LP).

408. "Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground" (The White Stripes, 2001)
Who's playing bass? What? No bass!

407. "Devil Baby" (Mark Knopfler, The Ragpicker's Dream, 2002)
One of my favorite guitar players around.

406. "I Don't Want to Be Alone" (Billy Joel, Glass Houses, 1980)
Have I mentioned that Glass Houses is the album I've heard more than any other in my life. Thank you , Auntie Carol !

405. "Brick" (Ben Folds Five, Whatever and Ever Amen, 1997)
Sad song, but sad songs make good songs sometimes.

404. "Boy With A Coin" (Iron & Wine, The Shepherd's Dog, 2007)
These lyrics are too deep for a dipshit like me to comment on. All I know is that I'm moved.

403. "That Thing You Do!" (The Wonders, 1996)
The mystery has since been solved as to who was really playing on this record. Great song, great movie...

402. "One Thing Real" (Dan Bern, Fifty Eggs, 1998)
A genuine thank you to Howard Goldstein for introducing me to Dan Bern's music.

401. "Lotta Love" (Neil Young, Live Rust, 1979)
Speaking of Howard.....he has also introduced me to Neil Young's stuff as of late. One of the live albums he gave me had this song. Never knew this was a Neil Young song! Was ready to put the version I know on the list, but hell, I like this better !

No comments:

Post a Comment