Friday, September 24, 2010

Fugazzi Grand (160-141)

160. "Ball and Biscuit" (The White Stripes, Elephant, 2003)
"it's quite possible that I'm your third man, girl....but it's a fact that I'm the seventh son"

159. "Conduit For Sale!" (Pavement, Slanted and Enchanted, 1992)
A sincere thank you to Todd Kemper for introducing this band to me in 2003. I now have, and enjoy all their records, and saw them for the first time on Fallon last night.

158. "Barrel of a Gun" (Guster, Lost and Gone Forever, 1999)
Great, great album, the first five songs would have made up one of the best E.P.'s of all time.

157. "Bennie and the Jets" (Elton John, Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, 1973)
I always thought this was a live version, and for years, I looked for the proper studio version on disc. Ya got me, Elton. Ya got me...

156. "Acid Tongue" (Jenny Lewis, Acid Tongue, 2008)
Sadly, Rilo Kiley was supposed to be on SNL with The Rock, but the writer's strike forced that show to be cancelled. Right after that, I did some reading on the band, listened to a few records, and now Jenny Lewis is on my mount rushmore of current artists I love.

155. "Jeremy" (Pearl Jam, Ten, 1991)
"seemed a harmless little fuck"

154. "Hey Joe" (Jimi Hendrix, Are You Experienced, 1967)
James, I haven't heard you cover a Hendrix song yet, have I?

153. "Stairway to Heaven" (Led Zeppelin, Led Zeppelin IV, 1971)
"Does anyone remember laughter?"

152. "A Slow Song" (Joe Jackson, Night and Day, 1982)
One of my favorite all time Joe Jackson vocals.

151. "Jungleland" (Bruce Springsteen, Born to Run, 1975)
Tomorrow night, my sister and I will finally watch the MSG show that I taped about 6 months ago, featuring, I'm sure, a 40 minute version of this song.

150. "And I Love Her" (The Beatles, Something New, 1964)
The first song I ever sang after I lost my "innocence". Sue me.

149. "That Look You Gave That Guy" (Eels, Hombre Lobo, 2009)
I will not be seeing Eels on my birthday, but I will see him soon, this is a guarantee.

148. "Raindrops Keep Fallin' On My Head" (B.J. Thomas, 1969)
I also have a pretty cool cover version by Ben Folds Five. This is one of my earliest musical memories.

147. "Here Comes the Big Parade" (Harry Connick Jr, She, 1994)
Another song that was really, really high in my Top 100 in 1999. I still perform my "air drum solo" to this song every time I hear it.

146. "It's Not Unusual" (Tom Jones, 1965)
I sing this song at least once a week in the shower.

145. "Less Than Zero" (Elvis Costello, My Aim is True, 1978)
I met Elvis Costello in 1999 at the airport. A big thrill for me, I'm sure he doesn't remember it. It was around midnight, he was waiting for his limo, I was waiting for my wife. A quick handshake, and a "wish I could have seen the show". A gentlemanly nod from Mr Costello, and a small story I can share forever.

144. "Someone Saved My Life Tonight" (Elton John, Capt Fantastic, 1975)
This was another one of the songs that I became attached to when I was getting into Elton John back in 1994. After the Billy Joel/Elton John show was announced for County Stadium, I bought a box set of his, and became a huge fan overnight.

143. "Missing the War" (Ben Folds Five, Whatever and Ever Amen, 1997)
A desert island disc, for sure.

142. "Blonde Over Blue" (Billy Joel, River of Dreams, 1993)
I'm not sure if Phil remembers this, but he and I sang this at Jennifer Shukoski's house in 1994 for about 15 people. I think we nailed it.

141. "Long Gone Lonesome Blues" (Hank Williams, 1950)
Not a huge country fan, but there are a handful of country songs that I really enjoy. I became familiar with this song about 20 years ago, when I first saw my all time favorite baseball movie, "Long Gone". Kyle and I would sing this at the top of our lungs on the bus on the way to our high school baseball games. Great memories, this song will always be special to me.

1 comment:

  1. no, sir, you haven't. but on the east coast tour we just completed, we did The Wind Cries Mary (one of my favorites) a number of times. i used to play Hey, Joe occasionally - usually in "open jam" types of situations. my dream is to have a band that can do justice to both Manic Depression and Angel.

    ReplyDelete