Friday, September 17, 2010

Fugazzi Grand (260-241)

260. "Pop's Love Suicide" (Stone Temple Pilots, Tiny Music, 1996)
In my opinion, their best, and last great album. Saw them live once, wasn't blown away, but this record will always be a favorite.

259. "Neighbours" (The Rolling Stones, Tattoo You, 1981)
This will definitely, definitely be a vinyl purchase.

258. "The Old Apartment" (Barenaked Ladies, Born on a Pirate Ship, 1996)
"broken glass, broke and hungry, broken hearts and broken bones"

257. "Recipe For Love" (Harry Connick Jr, We Are In Love, 1990)
M'lady hates Connick. They can't all be as talented as Bob Richie.

256. "Just Kiss Me" (Harry Connick Jr, Blue Light Red Light, 1991)
Bob Richie is affectionately known as "Kid Rock" to the kids. Amber likes Kid Rock.

255. "So. Central Rain (I'm Sorry)" (R.E.M., Reckoning, 1984)
Been wearing the hell out of this album lately.

254. "Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me" (Elton John, 1974)
When I really started to get into Elton John in 1994, this was one of the first songs that I really liked. Bought a greatest hits package of some sort, and always found myself fast forwarding to this one.

253. "Under My Thumb" (The Rolling Stones, Aftermath, 1966)
Andy and I do something when we're feeling silly called "de-rocking". We change the lyrics of songs that essentially take the attitude completely out of the song. When doing this song, Andy says, "Beneath the opposable appendage nearest my wrist". We have a ton of them.....

252. "Accidents Will Happen" (Elvis Costello, Armed Forces, 1979)
There is also a great version of this on his "Live from Hollywood" album, slowed down and at a piano. Great song...

251. "Bohemian Rhapsody" (Queen, Classic Queen, 1975)
This song came out 8 days after I was born. I will sometimes refer to this song, Saturday Night Live and myself as triplets. My birthday is October 2, 1975, and SNL debuted October 11, 1975.

250. "It's Alright With Me" (Harry Connick Jr, We Are In Love, 1990)
Clearly this is Amber's least favorite entry in my blog. Connick 3, Kid Rock 0.

249. "Sunshine (Go Away Today)" (Jonathan Edwards, 1971)
Yes, this is that one song from "Anchorman", and no, I wasn't familiar with it until I saw "Anchorman".

248. "What a Fool Believes" (The Doobie Brothers, Minute by Minute, 1979)
If you've never checked out "Yacht Rock" on the world wide interwebs, it is a must see. Features all of your softsational hits of the 70's, and is really funny. You will find Milwaukee's own Dan Harmon in an episode or two, he of the hit show "Community".

247. "Miami 2017 (Seen the Lights Go Out on Broadway)" (Billy Joel, 1976)
The lyrics take on a whole new meaning since 9/11. He opened with this when we saw him at Shea in 2008.

246. "Summer Wind" (Frank Sinatra, 1960)
Interesting side note. Was first recorded by Wayne Newton.

245. "In A Little While" (U2, All That You Can't Leave Behind, 2000)
U2 and Wilco are very similar to me in this way. I either love or don't connect at all to their songs. There is very little gray area with either band. This is a song I loved from the very first listen.

244. "Jack and Diane" (John Mellencamp, Words and Music, 1982)
A jukebox staple.

243. "Happy Xmas (War is Over)" (John Lennon, Working Class Hero, 1971)
Obviously, this song has a deeper meaning than the reason I love it. I was at Lambeau in late 2002 when the Packers beat the Bills to clinch a home playoff game, and this song played immediately after the game. The whole stadium sang together, I was in tears, three days before Christmas. One of the neatest days of my life.

242. "Sweet Child O Mine" (Guns n Roses, Appetite for Destruction, 1987)
Many say this is the finest debut album of all time. I can't agree, but I will tip my cap to this particular song.

241. "Purple Rain" (Prince, Purple Rain, 1984)
I cannot help but to think of Pat Butler playing hockey when I hear this song. Ask him, he'll tell you the story behind it...

1 comment:

  1. "Appetite" is damn close to the finest debut record of all time...it's pretty on an all time list somewhere for me.

    ReplyDelete