Monday, September 6, 2010

Fugazzi Grand (500-481)

500. "Mother" (Christina Aguilera, Instant Karma, 2007)
When picking these songs, I wrestled back and forth with whether I wanted to credit the songwriter or the recording. This is a John Lennon song, but the Aguilera version is such a great vocal, that I had to go with it. The Lennon version could have made the list, but I prefer this one.

499. "Daniel" (Elton John, Don't Shoot Me..., 1973)
This has always been one of my favorite Elton John albums, and this is such a beautiful song.

498. "Scar Tissue" (Red Hot Chili Peppers, Greatest Hits, 1999)
"sarcasm, Mister Know It All"

497. "Nasty" (Janet Jackson, Control, 1986)
This was one of the handful of songs that I always loved, but never owned. The rule I made for myself was that for the song to make the list, I had to own it (after all, if I didn't own it, do I really love it? ). But there were a couple that slippped through the cracks over the years.

496. "Rockit" (Herbie Hancock, Herbie Hancock Box, 1983)
Another one of my earlier MTV memories.

495. "We Are In Love" (Harry Connick Jr, We Are In Love, 1990)
I sing this song in the shower at least once a week.

494. "Hello" (Lionel Richie, Can't Slow Down, 1983)
I'm pretty sure this song was in my Top 20 when I made my Top 100 list in 1999. As a bonus, as soon as this list is complete, I will get you that Top 100 list from yesteryear.

493. "She's Out of My Life" (Michael Jackson, Off the Wall, 1979)
I've always preferred "Off the Wall" to "Thriller".

492. "Radio Nowhere" (Bruce Springsteen, Magic, 2007)
This album has been growing on me as of late.

491. "Fair" (Ben Folds Five, Whatever and Ever Amen, 1997)
One of my all time favorite albums, there is a ton from this record on the list.

490. "Friends of P." (The Rentals, Return of the Rentals, 1995)
The first time I saw this on MTV, I thought it was a weezer song, but I couldn't find Rivers or Brian. When I saw that it was "The Rentals", I panicked, thinking Weezer broke up. About a year later, Matt Sharp left the band to focus on "The Rentals" exclusively.

489. "A Visit to the Creep Doctor" (Guided By Voices, Sandbox, 1987)
I am fascinated with Robert Pollard. Just fascinated.

488. "Straight Street" (The Fiery Furnaces, Blueberry Boat, 2004)
To this day, I still haven't listened to this entire record, all the way through, in one sitting. But as my iTunes play count indicator will tell me, I've listened to this song about 150 times.

487. "The Good Old Days" (The Lodger, Life is Sweet, 2008)
Another goodie from Paste. Very sad to hear that Paste has folded it's publication. Let's see what that means for the website and samplers, too.

486. "Hang Me Up to Dry" (Cold War Kids, Robbers & Cowards, 2007)
The best of the Stephanie Awe file transfers...

485. "I've Got You Under My Skin" (Frank Sinatra, Best of, 1960)
Classic Sinatra.

484. "Firecracker" (Ryan Adams, Gold, 2001)
I'm calling you out, Todd. Why no love for Ryan Adams ?

483. "Kissing the Lipless" (The Shins, Chutes Too Narrow, 2003)
Awesome indie record.

482. "Leave the Memories Alone" (Fuel, Angels & Devils, 2007)
I'll admit it. Never heard this song until the WWE used it in the Flair retirement angle. Now whenever I hear it, I think of Starrcade, Bash and War Games.

481. "Tired of Being Sorry" (Ringside, Ringside, 2005)
Saw them open for Weezer in 2005. If memory serves me, Brian Bell sat in with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment