Sunday, September 12, 2010

Fugazzi Grand (360-341)

360. "Open Arms" (Journey, Greatest Hits, 1982)
Don't pretend you don't like Journey.

359. "(Sittin' On) the Dock of the Bay" (Otis Redding, 1967)
A classic.

358. "Back in the USSR" (The Beatles, The White Album, 1968)
Billy Joel covered this in the 80's, but of course, I went with the White Album opener for the list.

357. "Hackensack" (Fountains of Wayne, Welcome Interstate Managers, 2003)
I like this song more and more each time I hear it.

356. "You Can't Judge a Book By It's Cover" (Bo Diddley)
Didn't Dusty Rhodes use this for a bit?

355. "Heartbreak Hotel" (Elvis Presley)
Billy Joel covered this as well, for that Nick Cage movie, but again, going with the original. This is also the name of my mom's first fantasy football team.

354. "Too Much" (Dave Matthews Band, Crash, 1996)
I really enjoy singing this song, and doing that Dave Matthews foot thing when I do.

353. "Over Now" (Alice in Chains, Alice in Chains, 1995)
The only reason I didn't go with the Unplugged version is because that version includes about 2 and a half minutes of dialogue that kills my boner.

352. "Time After Time" (Cyndi Lauper, She's So Unusual, 1983)
When I sing this song, I do it with an exaggerated Elmer Fudd voice. The kids love it!

351. "Soul Man" (Sam & Dave, Soul Men, 1967)
Could maybe be a little bit higher, I suppose. A staple of the Blues Brothers, back in "the day".

350. "Carry On Wayward Son" (Kansas, Best of Kansas, 1976)
The song makes the list either way, but the reason it's this high is that it's the song that plays during the closing credits of "Anchorman".

349. "Here, There and Everywhere" (The Beatles, Revolver, 1966)
Beautiful song.

348. "More Than Words" (Extreme, 20th Century Masters, 1991)
Andy and I sing this at work at least once a week.

347. "Burn On" (Randy Newman, Sail Away, 1972)
As featured in the opening credits of "Major League". Don't worry, not every song on this list is featured in a film I enjoy. Just a couple.

346. "Wonderful Tonight" (Eric Clapton, The Cream of Clapton, 1977)
I acknowledge that this song has been beat to death, but I still enjoy it.

345. "My Sweet Lord" (George Harrison, All Things Must Pass, 1970)
I read recently that Harrison lost a suit against the songwriters of "He's So Fine", saying that Harrison stole the melody from that song, and used it in this one. Interesting.

344. "Baby Learns to Crawl" (Paul Westerberg, Stereo, 2002)
This album pisses me off, but this song is awesome, and I used to sing it to my daughter.

343. "Good Riddance (Time of Your Life)" (Green Day, 2001)
My very good friend, Phil Hohlweck, put this song to a bunch of old Brewers highlights, and now this song will always remind me of Easter Sunday, 1987, Robin's 3000th hit and the '82 American League Champions.

342. "Kiss" (Prince, Parade, 1986)
This song was very close to being the only song on the list to make it twice. I really, really wanted to put the Tom Jones cover version on the list, but I don't own it (not sure why).

341. "Voodoo Child (Slight Return)" (Jimi Hendrix, Electric Ladyland, 1968)
What of the best guitar licks of all time. James, is that the right phrase? Guitar lick?

1 comment:

  1. Time After Time!! <3
    i wish you'd seen me at Spoof Fest. next year?

    ReplyDelete