Monday, September 20, 2010

Fugazzi Grand (200-181)

200. "Nobody Told Me" (John Lennon, Working Class Hero)
"Most peculiar, momma - ROLL !"

199. "Ghost of Stephen Foster" (Squirrel Nut Zippers, Perrenial Favorites, 1998)
This was #13 on my all time list when I ranked my top 100 in 1999, but being at 199 now doesn't mean I like it any less.

198. "Mixed Bizness" (Beck, Midnite Vultures, 1999)
Beck is one of my all time favorite artists, and as you will come to find out in the next 10 days, this is not my #1 favorite Beck song, but is definitely one of the first songs that comes to mind when I think of Beck.

197. "Twist and Shout" (The Beatles, Please Please Me, 1963)
This isn't even an original Beatles song, but it feels like it should be.

196. "That'll Be the Day" (Buddy Holly, Greatest Hits, 1957)
There is a tasty Buddy Holly box set at Exclusive Co. is all I'm saying...

195. "Interstate Love Song" (Stone Temple Pilots, Purple, 1994)
This was the first STP song that I loved. Wasn't a huge fan of Core until after I heard this song, then went back to see what the fuss was about.

194. "Dazed and Confused" (Led Zeppelin, Led Zeppelin, 1969)
I don't listen to the records as much as I should, but my Zepp "best of" playlist gets a good workout at least once a week.

193. "When Doves Cry" (Prince, The Hits, 1984)
Jamie, what are your desert island Prince records? I will sit down with them one weekend and try to figure out what kind of fan of his I am. Some incredibly awesome songs, he almost seems too fashionable for someone like me.

192. "Wrapped Around Your Finger" (The Police, Synchronicity, 1983)
Never got a chance to see the Police on the reunion tour, I regret that. They played a show in Milwaukee with Elvis Costello in 2008, and I'd give anything to go back in time and see it.

191. "For Emma" (Bon Iver, For Emma Forever Ago, 2008)
This is not a novelty record, or me throwing a bone at a Wisconsin guy. This is the first of 3 entries in the top 200 from this record, and I highly anticipate his next full length album.

190. "One" (U2, Achtung Baby, 1991)
Did anybody think I would put this at "one" on the list, because of what I did with Tommy Tutone earlier?

189. "Gimme Shelter" (The Rolling Stones, Let It Bleed, 1969)
This is one awesome song, not much more to say.

188. "Pork and Beans" (Weezer, The Red Album, 2008)
This came out 3 years after "Make Believe", which is their worst album, by far. Because of that, I was pretty excited to see how they would bounce back. This is the first weezer song that my daughter ever sang to me, I believe I have video of it somewhere. So much fun to sing....

187. "Creep" (Radiohead, Pablo Honey, 1992)
I am not as crazy about Radiohead as some of my friends are, but I do recognize a great song when I hear it. This is a great song.

186. "All Apologies" (Nirvana, In Utero, 1993)
The thing I miss most about Cobain was his vocals. Especially in songs like this.

185. "Pink Moon" (Nick Drake, Pink Moon, 1972)
When I'm blue, it's Nick Drake on the stereo, a glove in my left hand, a ball in the right.

184. "Like A Rolling Stone" (Bob Dylan)
This is what Rolling Stone magazine had listed as their #1 song of all time this summer. Almost sounds like they were trying to toot their own horn.

183. "Beat It" (Michael Jackson, Thriller, 1982)
For a moment in 1982, I thought this was going to take over the planet. Then "Weird Al" put out "Eat It", and all innocence was lost...

182. "The Long and Winding Road" (The Beatles, Let It Be, 1970)
Although "Let It Be" was the last album released by the Beatles, it was actually recorded before "Abbey Road", so I, and the millions of fans, think of "Abbey Road" as the last album. Still an interesting listen, and this is one of the crown jewels of that record.

181. "All For Leyna" (Billy Joel, Glass Houses, 1980)
If you take all the songs in the top 200, this could be towards the top of the least known songs by you, the reader of this blog. Never released as a single, but one of my favorite songs to sing, and take a moment to watch the video on youtube. This was my look in high school.

1 comment:

  1. My Mt Rushmore of Prince records is

    1999
    Purple Rain
    Sign 'O The Times
    Parade (Music From Under The Cherry Moon)

    This probably changes from day to day.

    ReplyDelete