Thursday, September 2, 2010

Fugazzi Grand (620-601)

620. "Mykel and Carli" (Weezer, 1994)
A "Blue Album" B Side from yesteryear. Sad story...Mykel and Carli were huge fans of weezer, and were killed on the way to a show in 1997. This song was actually written and recorded before the tragedy.

619. "Never Ending Math Equation" (Modest Mouse, 2000)
Over the past few years, I've grown sour of Modest Mouse, but not of this song.

618. "When the Devil's Loose" (AA Bondy, When the Devil's Loose, 2009)
The gentleman that plugged my book for onmilwaukee.com, Bobby Tanzilo is a big fan as well.

617. "All For Love" (Bryan Adams, Sting and Rod Stewart, 1993)
Half of my friends will praise me for this, half will want to punch me in the face.

616. "Man" (Elton John, Made in England, 1995)
A really strong album, the only Elton John I album that I really love in the last 30 years or so.

615. "Imitation of Life" (R.E.M., Reveal, 2001)
I bought this on impulse the day I bought Weezer's "Green Album". Up until then, I was a casual R.E.M. fan, and I've become a huge fan of the older stuff ever since.

614. "Kids Don't Know Shit" (Islands, Arm's Way, 2008)
This one's for Todd. When you said this was awesome, I had to bite my lip, and not give away the list.

613. "Answering Machine" (The Replacements, Let It Be, 1984)
Another favorite of Todd Kemper. Correct me if I'm wrong, Todd, but this makes your top ten, yes yes ?

612. "Good Day Sunshine" (The Beatles, Revolver, 1966)
My favorite Beatles album, if I had more time during the day, I would listen to this every fucking day.

611. "Souvenir" (Billy Joel, Streetlife Serenade, 1974)
When I saw Billy Joel play "The Last Play at Shea" in 2008, this was the last song he played. I think about these lyrics a ton.

610. "Is She Really Going Out With Him" (Joe Jackson, 1980)
This is an a capella version, which I like way more than the original, and way, way more than Sugar Ray's version.

609. "Take Me Home Tonight" (Eddie Money, Essential Eddie Money, 1986)
It would have broke Andy Gilson's heart had I not included some Ed Mahoney.

608. "Dragonfly Pie" (Stephen Malkmus, Real Emotional Trash, 2008)
A really cool vibe.

607. "Last Night" (Traveling Wilburys, Vol 1, 1988)
How cool would it have been to be in the room while these guys were recording?

606. "The One" (Elton John, The One, 1992)
When they arrange the soundtrack for the movie of my life, they'll have to include this. Music does indeed mark time. Who's gonna play me? Probably a fat guy...

605. "When I Need You" (Leo Sayer, Endless Flight, 1977)
Just a really cool love song that I have yet to tire of.

604. "Sledgehammer" (Peter Gabriel, So, 1986)
Just now starting to get into the old Genesis stuff, courtesy of the Isberner family. This is still cool, but what the hell is he saying in the beginning ??

603. "Come as You Are" (Nirvana, Nevermind, 1991)
I always get equally sad and angry when I think of what happened. A damn shame....

602. "Gigantic" (Pixies, Surfer Rosa, 1988)
When the Pixies and Weezer toured together about 5 years ago, I wasn't too familiar with the Pixies. This was one of the songs that I really enjoyed at the show, and immediately purchased. Soon after, Doolittle became an all time favorite...

601. "Broken Heartbeats Sound Like Breakbeats" (Los Campesinos, 2008)
Great song. Great. Song.

No comments:

Post a Comment