Friday, September 17, 2010

Fugazzi Grand (280-261)

280. "The Word" (The Beatles, Rubber Soul, 1965)
George Harrison doesn't get enough credit for his contributions to the Beatles. Lennon and McCartney wrote most the Beatles stuff, and Harrison and George Martin created a lot of the sound.

279. "Best of You" (Foo Fighters, In Your Honor, 2005)
If you haven't seen the Foo Fighters live, please do so.

278. "Adhesive" (Stone Temple Pilots, Tiny Music...., 1996)
A few weeks back, I was asked by TV's Dave Holmes on facebook to come up with my essential 15 albums. Looking back, I wish I would have included this one.

277. "A Change is Gonna Come" (Sam Cooke, 1960)
This is the song that got Taylor Hicks to Hollywood. I had a feeling he may do well, I never thought he'd win it all.

276. "What It Is" (Mark Knopfler, Sailing to Philadelphia, 2000)
I don't listen to this album as much as I should.

275. "Goodnight Rose" (Ryan Adams, Easy Tiger, 2007)
I think I'm gonna make a Ryan Adams playlist tonight. I will play it the next time Todd and I play Madden's at my place....

274. "Song for the Dumped" (Ben Folds Five, Whatever and Ever Amen, 1997)
"I want my money back, and don't forget, to give me back my black t-shirt"

273. "Mr November" (The National, Alligator, 2005)
This song is not about Derek Jeter. Have I mentioned that this is my favorite album of the 2000's ?

272. "Jealous Again" (The Black Crowes, Shake Your Money Maker, 1990)
The Black Crowes are simply a great rock n roll band. I need to embrace the long players more.

271. "Summer Breeze" (Seals & Crofts, 1972)
I will forever refer to this song as the Dave Holmes kickball song.

270. "Hornets! Hornets!" (The Hold Steady, Separation Sunday, 2005)
Garage rock at his finest.

269. "Darlington County" (Bruce Springsteen, Born in the USA, 1984)
Was there anyone who didn't own this album in 1984 ?

268. "Yellow Ledbetter" (Pearl Jam, Rearviewmirror, 1992)
Not sure if this ever made an album, but this was the first Pearl Jam song that I really embraced, although, I don't know what the hell Eddie Vedder is saying.

267. "Zanzibar" (Billy Joel, 52nd Street, 1978)
The setting for this song is a sports bar. Muhammad Ali and Pete Rose are referenced. Great track, not really well known by casual fans, as this was never released as a single.

266. "Radio Free Europe" (R.E.M., Murmur, 1983)
These early R.E.M. records are amazing.

265. "Watching the Detectives" (Elvis Costello, My Aim is True, 1978)
Let me take a moment to clear up an urban myth about this record. Huey Lewis did not play on it. His former band, Clover, were used on it, but not Huey.

264. "On and On" (Stephen Bishop, On and On, 1977)
My apologies to The Jam. I recently said that they were the only artist on the list that I could not name a second song for. Stephen Bishop. There are a few others too.....

263. "Mary Jane's Last Dance" (Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers, 1993)
Great song, great video, and Union Pulse does a great cover of it, too.

262. "Everybody Wants to Rule the World" (Tears for Fears, 1985)
An 80's classic that we can all agree upon at the water cooler.

261. "This Love" (Maroon 5, Songs for Jane, 2002)
Frank Crivello singing this at the top of his lungs at a Brewers game is still one of the best moments of my life. Birth of my daughter, release of my book, Crivello sings Maroon 5 are the top three....

1 comment:

  1. i forgot you'd heard us do Mary Jane's Last Dance. once, on a setlist, i wrote most of the songs in abbreviated format...this one came out MJ's LD - not quite my intention. other funny accidents have been LGB (Last Goodbye...or Lesbian/Gay/Bi) and our cover of Paul Baker's religious anthem, Pour Out Our Passion.

    ahem.

    ReplyDelete