Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Fugazzi Grand (180-161)

180. "And Your Bird Can Sing" (The Beatles, Revolver, 1966)
This is where the list gets really, really good.

179. "Wasted and Ready" (Ben Kweller, Sha Sha, 2002)
Discovered Kweller by accident while living in Minnesota. This song kicks all sorts of ass.

178. "Living Loving Maid (She's Just a Woman)" (Led Zeppelin, Led Zeppelin II, 1969)
A favorite of one Andy Gilson. What a great riff...

177. "Hound Dog" (Elvis Presley)
Totally unrelated, but goddamn is my keyboard dirty. Classic Elvis ...

176. "Hit the Road Jack" (Ray Charles, Genius, 1961)
This album, basically a career retrospective, has been a steady play in my car for the past 2 years.

175. "Always" (Distrails, Virginia Creeper, 2009)
The last song I cried to. Men cry. You don't think I'm a man? I'm eating five sausages tomorrow night at the Brewers game. I'm a manly man, damnit!

174. "Tractor Rape Chain" (Guided By Voices, Bee Thousand, 1994)
My friends Todd and Greg swear by this record. I think it's awesome, too. Pollard is in a class by himself.

173. "Man on the Moon" (R.E.M., Automatic for the People, 1992)
I read that this is one of Bono's favorite albums. I miss Andy Kaufman.

172. "I Alone" (Live, Throwing Copper, 1994)
Awesome song, awesome video, and when Amber cuts my hair, I mimic Ed Kowalczyk in that video.

171. "My Sharona" (The Knack, Get the Knack, 1979)
Unless you're a hater like Todd Kemper (just giving you a hard time, buddy), I think this is on everyone's top 1000.

170. "The Greatest Man That Ever Lived" (Weezer, The Red Album, 2008)
The most unique Weezer song on record. My good friend Brian Hancock heard it, and said, "Bohemian Rhapsody - esque". I instantly concurred.

169. "With a Little Help from My Friends" (Joe Cocker, 1968)
I prefer the Cocker version to Ringo's. This was another song that really could have appeared twice, but I wanted to represent as many actual songs as possible. One of my favorite shows ever is "The Wonder Years". I hope it's released on DVD soon. Gonna be hard to clear all the music they used. It took MTV about 15 years to release "The State" on DVD for the same reason, and they had to re-score a ton of it.

168. "I'll Buy" (The Replacements, Tim, 1985)
Holy shit, is this a great rock and roll song. Great album, in my personal top 20, for sure.

167. "Karen" (The National, Alligator, 2005)
If I'm told tomorrow that I have 24 hours left to live, I will spend most of that time with my family, and 48 minutes with this record.

166. "You Shook Me All Night Long" (AC/DC, Back in Black, 1980)
When I was younger, I was led to believe these guys were satanic. It turns out, they are just a great rock and roll band.

165. "And So I Know" (Stone Temple Pilots, Tiny Music, 1996)
This is another one of my top 20 albums ever. Don't like much of what they've done since, though.

164. "Something" (The Beatles, Abbey Road, 1969)
Jamie and I had a nice, long talk about "favorites vs best" about a year ago. This album is both for a lot of people. One of the best ever made, and one of my favorite.

163. "If I Had $1,000,000" (Barenaked Ladies, Gordon, 1992)
I love how at the end, they don't tell you that you'll be happy, they just tell you that you'll be rich. They're right!

162. "Brown Eyed Girl" (Van Morrison, Blowin Your Mind, 1967)
One of the best voices on the planet.

161. "Walking Home Again" (Union Pulse, I Hate You. You Always Do This., 2005)
I don't think Thor Bremer knows who I am, I've met him three times, and always seems bored talking to me, but the first time I saw James perform, Thor was filling in as drummer, and immediately after, I told James that he should consider Thor as the new drummer......and it happened. He did this "thing" after "tick tock and it's half past once again", that I now do when listening to the song at home. And I know that James is doing it right now as he reads this. By the way, buy Thor's album, "Altitudes and Catari Ariyasaccani" and check out Union Pulse at at Linneman's River West Inn on Locust on Saturday night, October 16th. I will be there, rockin' out...

1 comment:

  1. i love the family history portion of this list! let it be know to all that you are not simply an educated listener, you're an archivist (and first cousin, at least) of the milwaukee rock and roll family tree.

    < moves left arm straight out, right arm straight out, then both arms high in the sky >

    ReplyDelete