Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Fugazzi Grand (80-61)

80. "Where Did You Sleep Last Night" (Nirvana, MTV Unplugged, 1994)
This song apparently dates back to the 1870's, and was originally known as "In the Pines", but Nirvana introduced my generation to the song right before Kurt Cobain died. The screaming last verse still sends a chill down my spine. When you watch it now, you can tell something was up.

79. "Here Comes Your Man" (Pixies, Doolittle, 1989)
Dan Lozoff gets full credit for introducing this band and very awesome album to me.

78. "Steven's Last Night in Town" (Ben Folds Five, Whatever and Ever Amen, 1997)
The solo Ben Folds stuff is good, but the long players lack a certain something that the three Ben Folds Five records offered. I would give anything for a one night reunion, playing this album in it's entirety (and some other songs, too!).

77. "Eleanor Rigby" (The Beatles, Revolver, 1966)
This is a perfect recording.

76. "El Scorcho" (Weezer, Pinkerton, 1996)
The only song on Fugazzi Grand to reference ECW...."watching Grunge leg drop New Jack through a press table"....I wish they played this live. I gotta get to that Memories Tour !!!

75. "Every Breath You Take" (The Police, Synchronicity, 1983)
Andy gave me some trivia this week that I wasn't aware of. Stewart Copeland is cousins with Courtney Cox!

74. "Losing My Religion" (R.E.M., Out of Time, 1991)
Not to many monster hits feature the mandolin. I wish I was on the plane that Peter Buck was on when he drunkenly exclaimed, "I AM R.E.M. !!"

73. "The River of Dreams" (Billy Joel, River of Dreams, 1993)
Billy Joel wasn't kidding at the end of this album when he said, "these are the last words I have to say". He hasn't recorded an album since then. 17 years, and this was his last big hit.

72. "Rock Around the Clock" (Bill Haley & the Comets, Rock Around the Clock, 1954)
This is a classic, in every sense of the word.

71. "Smells Like Teen Spirit" (Nirvana, Nevermind, 1991)
Butch Vig is a genius.

70. "Bridge Over Troubled Water" (Simon & Garfunkel, 1970)
What exactly was Paul Simon's contribution to this song?

69. "The Longest Time" (Billy Joel, An Innocent Man, 1983)
We performed this in high school, and it was a lot of fun. I've heard there is video of it out there somewhere....I'd love to see it! One of my all time favorite songs to sing. Sang it on the way home tonight !

68. "Empty Garden (Hey Hey Johnny)" (Elton John, 1982)
This song is about John Lennon. Lennon, Belushi and Farley are the 3 celebrities I miss the most.

67. "The Logical Song" (Supertramp, Breakfast in America, 1979)
First, and most obviously, I think this song is awesome, proof being that it's number 67 on my all time list. Second, I can't help but imagine Jon Hamm's character "Sergio" from SNL doing the sax solo.

66. "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" (Elton John, Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, 1973)
The remastered version of this will be my next CD purchase, so help me God.

65. "No Rain" (Blind Melon, Blind Melon, 1992)
We've all been the bee. We've all been the bee.

64. "Mr Jones" (Counting Crows, August and Everything After, 1993)
This song is so good, I have to take the time and get familiar with the rest of their stuff. I have too...

63. "Hotel California" (Eagles, Hotel California, 1976)
This song is another perfect recording. Make fun if you will, but the musicianship on this recording has rarely been touched in the last 34 years.

62. "Panama" (Van Halen, 1984, 1984)
This could have/should have been one of the biggest rock and roll bands of all time, but sadly, we now just think of the whole "Roth, Hagar, Roth, Cherone, Roth, Hagar, Roth" drama.

61. "Abel" (The National, Alligator, 2005)
Incredible energy, incredible vocal. The crown jewel of my favorite album of the last 10 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment