Saturday, September 18, 2010

Fugazzi Grand (240-221)

240. "Rock and Roll" (Led Zeppelin, Led Zeppelin IV, 1971)
Rock and Roll, played the way it should be played.

239. "Welcome Back" (John Sebastian, 1976)
The sitcom "Welcome Back, Kotter" was supposed to be called "Kotter", but the producers liked this song so much, they changed the title last minute.

238. "The Weight" (The Band, 1968)
There is a weezer cover of this song out there, and I must find it.

237. "Title and Registration" (Death Cab For Cutie, Transatlanticism, 2003)
"the glove compartment isn't accurately named....cause behind it's door there's nothing to keep my fingers warm"

236. "Tonight" (Elton John, Blue Moves, 1976)
A masterpiece from Reginald Dwight.

235. "Breaking Us in Two" (Joe Jackson, Night and Day, 1982)
Would really love to see Joe Jackson do a show at the Pabst or the Riverside. Underrated songwriter. Should be bigger than he is.

234. "Go" (The Apples in Stereo, The Discovery of a World Inside the Moone, 2000)
A big thank you Tiffany Herrera for introducing this to me, and a big thank you to Dan Lozoff for re-introducing this to me.

233. "Trou Macacq" (Squirrel Nut Zippers, Perennial Favorites, 1998)
Tom Maxwell. I was sad to see him leave the Zippers, and they haven't had a hit since that day. Let's kiss and make up and do this again, guys. You dominated my CD player for about 3 years in the late 90's, when weezer was taking a break.

232. "It's All Been Done" (Barenaked Ladies, Stunt, 1998)
"will I cry, will I smile, as you run down the aisle !!! "

231. "Roxanne" (The Police, Outlandos D'Amour, 1978)
Eddie Murphy and Dave Briere have great versions as well. This song is still awesome.

230. "Song 2" (Blur, 1997)
Danny Forst, I've got your attention ! Weezer covers this now, but this makes the list either way.

229. "Halloween" (Dave Matthews Band, Before These Crowded Streets, 1998)
I sometimes refer to this LP as Dave Matthews "Pinkerton". These songs come from a darker place....this may be my favorite Dave Matthews vocal ever recorded.

228. "Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough" (Michael Jackson, Off the Wall, 1979)
The only reason "Thriller" out sold this record was MTV. This is the better record, but did not have MTV to promote it.

227. "It's Good To Be King" (Tom Petty, Wildflowers, 1994)
This is Tom Petty's magnum opus. Every single song is great, one of favorite records from start to finish.

226. "Two Thousand Years" (Billy Joel, River of Dreams, 1993)
Sadly for me, this was the last album Billy Joel ever recorded. Not gonna lie to you, I check Google news almost daily to find out if he's in the studio again. It's funny, nine months later, Weezer's first album came out. It almost feels like the baton was passed from Billy Joel to Rivers Cuomo as far as my favorite recording artist.

225. "Sister Christian" (Night Ranger, Midnight Madness, 1984)
In hindsight, maybe I listed this a little higher than I should have. It is one of those songs that I always keep on if I stumble upon it on the radio.

224. "Handle With Care" (Traveling Wilburys, Vol 1, 1988)
This song, and band almost never happened. George Harrison wanted to record a B-side for one of his solo albums, and this song came out of it. The sessions went so well, they decided to cut an entire album, and this was the first single from their first album. Jenny Lewis and the Watson Twins cover this, and it too is really good.

223. "Mind Eraser, No Chaser" (Them Crooked Vultures, 2009)
Another incredible supergroup. This performance on SNL last year was the best in years, and this song will be in heavy rotation on my ipod for a long, long time.

222. "Your Song" (Elton John, Elton John, 1970)
The songwriting duo of Bernie Taupin and Elton John is incredible and somewhat unusual. Taupin writes poems, then sends them to Elton John, and he puts music to them. Backwards, but it has worked for 40 years.

221. "Butterfly" (Weezer, Pinkerton, 1996)
I think I've misinterpreted these lyrics since day one, but whatever the meaning, it is awesome, and the closer from my favorite weezer record.

No comments:

Post a Comment