Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Fugazzi Grand (60-41)

60. "I Was Born (A Unicorn)" (The Unicorns, Who Will Cut Our Hair When We're Gone, 2003)
You just know you're getting more lists from me in the near future. Spoiler alert. This is my 2nd favorite album of the last decade.

59. "Rock With You" (Michael Jackson, Off the Wall, 1979)
My mom had this on 8-track. Dad, please explain to the youngsters what 8-tracks are. This is one of the first albums I ever listened to, this and "Glass Houses" by Billy Joel. Coincidentally, the first two cassettes I ever owned were "Thriller" and "An Innocent Man", by Billy Joel. I guess you would say that Michael Jackson and Billy Joel each had a huge hand crafting this list for you.

58. "Runaway" (Del Shannon, Home and Away, 1961)
I could listen to this song all day, every day. When Billy Joel was inducted into the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame, he covered this, and I'd give anything to have an mp3 of it. Kleba?

57. "Oh, Pretty Woman" (Roy Orbison, Essential Roy Orbison, 1964)
I have my eye on a Roy Orbison box set at Exclusive Company. Hey, speaking of box sets....mad, mad props to my sister and niece for surprising me tonight with an early birthday gift.....The Incredible Hulk, complete series on DVD. Awesome! Get well soon !

56. "The Luckiest" (Ben Folds, Rockin the Suburbs, 2001)
When a song is really good, I like to close my eyes, and put myself in the context of the story being told. I think of three people when I close my eyes to this song. I let you into my life with my book, and I've shared a lot with you here, but I will not reveal those three people, so don't try to ask. You would never guess all three, and I interpret the lyrics a little differently than most.

55. "Skinny Love" (Bon Iver, For Emma Forever Ago, 2008)
I still haven't fully recovered about the news of Paste Magazine folding. Who knows what will become of the website, and of my beloved Paste samplers, but Bon Iver is one of the many bands I discovered reading Paste. This song, this album, and Justin Vernon are amazing. When he played Letterman, doing this song, wearing a Badger t-shirt, it felt exactly what I've imagined it will feel like when James Redding does the same.

54. "Silver Lining" (Rilo Kiley, Under the Blacklight, 2007)
It's funny how the things in life that I love kind of bleed into each other. Billy Joel plays two historic shows at Shea Stadium, and a documentary that covers the career of Billy Joel, and the Mets history at Shea comes out of it. Well, three years ago, Rilo Kiley was supposed to do SNL with "The Rock" as host. A pro wrestler does my favorite show, and a band I never heard of as musical guest. My curiosity about them peaked, and I heard a few songs. Then I bought a few albums, now I have a pretty unhealthy crush on Jenny Lewis. When she did this song alone and acoustic to start her show last summer, I melted.

53. "I Love Rock n Roll" (Joan Jett & the Blackhearts, I Love Rock n Roll, 1981)
This was one of my earliest radio memories from when I lived in Mauston. This was so much different from what I was hearing on the radio at the time, and at the time, was the catchiest thing I had ever heard. Still sounds great today.

52. "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" (The Rolling Stones, Out of Our Heads, 1965)
When Rolling Stone counted down the Top 500 songs of all time in 2004, this was #1. When they did the same this summer, it was #2. I don't place it that high on my own personal list, but there is no mistaking how really good it is.

51. "My Life" (Billy Joel, 52nd Street, 1978)
If you haven't figure it out yet, Billy Joel is my favorite artist. Critics have had their way with him ever since "Glass Houses", but he is a terrific piano player, a great storyteller, and an incredible songwriter. They simply do not write songs as good as this anymore. Lyrically, musically, sonically, this is one of the best songs in popular music of all time.

50. "My Name is Jonas" (Weezer, The Blue Album, 1994)
Ya done created a monster, Scott Radke. This is the first weezer song I ever heard, track one, album one. My friend Scott and I used to go bowling every Friday, and he ran Camelot Music when we were in high school. While he was closing the store, he played this while I waited, and I was instantly hooked. I literally wore out my copy, and bought it twice that year. The rest is history. Oh, by the way.....it was announced today that the Memories Tour is coming to Chicago on January 7 and 8. You bet your ass I'll be there....

49. "Start Me Up" (The Rolling Stones, Tattoo You, 1981)
This record has a raw, unfinished quality to it that gives it charm. This song kicks off that record, and 30 years later, still sounds awesome, and relevant.

48. "Sometimes a Fantasy" (Billy Joel, Glass Houses, 1980)
Some trivia for you....the fantasy baseball league I used to run was called "Sometimes A Fantasy", and this is the only song on the list about phone sex. Sorry if I've ruined the rest of the list for you....

47. "Hash Pipe" (Weezer, The Green Album, 2001)
The 2nd greatest hard rock song of the last decade.

46. "The Pretender" (Foo Fighters, Echoes Silence Patience and Grace, 2007)
The greatest hard rock song of the last decade.

45. "Monkey Gone to Heaven" (Pixies, Doolittle, 1989)
"If man is 5, then the devil is 6, and if the devil is 6, then God is 7"

44. "Slow Show" (The National, Boxer, 2007)
My apologies to Matthew Schewe. I said some childish things about Bears fans. There are a lot of good ones out there. He's one of them. Matt has introduced a lot of great music to me over the 7 years I've known him, and this is my biggest thank you. With that being said, Matt, is it my turn yet to offer the guest playlist on strictlydiscs.com ??

43. "Pride (In the Name of Love)" (U2, The Unforgettable Fire, 1984)
One of my all time favorite vocals.

42. "Baker Street" (Gerry Rafferty, City to City, 1978)
I miss the singer/songwriter. We need more of them. And that fucking sax solo !!!

41. "Jailhouse Rock" (Elvis Presley)
Was there anybody cooler than Elvis? And don't say Scott Baio.

No comments:

Post a Comment