Thursday, September 16, 2010

Fugazzi Grand (300-281)

300. "Lover, You Should Have Come Over" (Jeff Buckley, Grace, 1994)
I started buying CD's in 1994, and this was the first non Billy Joel CD I ever bought. Up until then.....cassettes. Remember cassettes ?

299. "Thriller" (Michael Jackson, Thriller, 1982)
This video really did kill the radio star. After "Thriller", guys like Christopher Cross never really had a chance again.

298. "Sabotage" (Beastie Boys, Ill Communication, 1994)
One of the best videos of all time.

297. "That's Entertainment" (The Jam, 1981)
This is the only artist on the list that I cannot name another song of.

296. "Cut Your Hair" (Pavement, Crooked Rain Crooked Rain, 1994)
I still can't figure out if "Pardon the Interruption" is sampling this song.

295. "Hey Ya!" (Outkast, 2003)
One word: fun.

294. "Piano Man" (Billy Joel, Piano Man, 1973)
My guess is that some of you thought this would be #1, or close to the top. It's a great song, don't get me wrong, but I can think of around, I don't know, 293 other songs that I would say I like more....

293. "Thunder Road" (Bruce Springsteen, Born to Run, 1975)
James, I'm sorry I missed your post-Springsteen acoustic show. Did you play this ?

292. "Hate It Here" (Wilco, Sky Blue Sky, 2007)
I either like or don't like Wilco's stuff. This......I like.

291. "Working for the Weekend" (Loverboy, Mullets Rock!, 1981)
Cheesy? Yes. But as I've said before. I love nachos.

290. "Help Yourself" (Tom Jones, 1968)
Tom Jones is Lord. I sing this song all the damn time.

289. "Hit" (Guided By Voices, Alien Lanes, 1995)
At 23 seconds long, easily the shortest song on the list. This is my favorite album of all time.

288. "The Way" (Fastball, All the Pain Money Can Buy, 1998)
Great, great song to drive to. I'm surprised these guys didn't have more hits.

287. "Diecast Aeroplane" (Union Pulse, Angel on a Wire, 2007)
I requested that James play this at Summerfest with the band, they did it on the fly, and it kicked ass. Then he plugged my book! Now that's a friend.... let's grab a pizza when you get back from the East Coast. I'm enjoying the E.P. .......

286. "Runaway Train" (Soul Asylum, Black Gold, 1993)
James, you're gonna laugh. I used to think this was a Tom Petty song. I'm sorry, am I being rude, having this conversation with James Redding, lead singer of my favorite band, Union Pulse....I feel like I'm leaving the rest of you out. Maybe I'll include you more once you've put out four rock records...."Eine Kleine Rockmusik", "I Hate You. You Always Do This.", "Angel on a Wire" and "Between Love and Addiction". Buy them on iTunes, and see them live !

285. "The Way You Look Tonight" (Frank Sinatra, Best of, 1960)
Timeless.

284. "I Will Dare" (The Replacements, Let It Be, 1984)
It's about time I added to my Replacements collection.

283. "Why Bother?" (Weezer, Pinkerton, 1996)
Blinkerton is coming ! Weezer is playing 2 shows in each city they hit, starting in November, and will be playing "Blue" the first night, and "Pinkerton" the second night. You can bet your ass I will be ....... somewhere.

282. "Kashmir" (Led Zeppelin, Physical Graffiti, 1975)
"you called his niece a whore - a cheap one"

281. "Superstition" (Stevie Wonder, 1972)
Great song, great great song. Heard Harry Connick Jr cover this in concert, that was awesome, too.

1 comment:

  1. in a rare twist of fate, i'm posting during the day today -- i had a gig last night with the Rogues, so i switched my work shifts to accommodate sleeping in after rocking. we're also playing at the east side green market (outside Beans N' Barley) tomorrow at noon, if you care to stop by for some free music! but now back to the matter at hand...

    i didn't cover Thunder Road, i actually only recall playing a couple of Springsteen songs -- One Step Up, Devils n' Dust, Long Time Coming, and maybe one more...i half-hoped to do Streets of Philadelphia, because that woulda' been a challenge on solo acoustic guitar, but i didn't get around to it.

    also, i know you're not the only one to incorrectly assess the authorship (or performance) of Runaway Train. i can't remember who else told me they thought it was Petty, but i think i've heard another friend guess a different incorrect artist. and to show my own humility, i had a fight with Jed once over the song "I Will Get By" -- he assured me it was the Grateful Dead, but i said "c'mon, listen to the voice; it's OBVIOUSLY Tom Petty." i suck.

    also, i didn't tell you at the time, but i put in my copy of Alien Lanes (which was a gift from you!) on a recent road trip (probably our west coast tour a few months ago) and educated a couple more folks on the works of one R. Pollard.

    <3

    ReplyDelete