Saturday, September 25, 2010

Fugazzi Grand (140-121)

140. "Alison" (Elvis Costello, My Aim is True, 1978)
Quite possibly the first song that the common man thinks of when Elvis Costello is mentioned.

139. "An Innocent Man" (Billy Joel, An Innocent Man, 1983)
This entire album pays homage to 50's and 60's pop music, and this song in particular lends from The Drifters' "Under the Boardwalk".

138. "Lollipop" (The Chordettes, Mister Sandman, 1958)
For me personally, I can't help but think of Verne and Teddy when I hear this song.

137. "Sexx Laws" (Beck, Midnite Vultures, 1999)
This album is every bit as good as "Odelay", and I can only name about 136 more songs I'd rather hear than this one.

136. "Glad Girls" (Guided By Voices, Isolation Drills, 2001)
GBV trivia....this is the very first GBV song that I liked. This is the first album of their's I ever heard, and this was one of the song's I kept coming back to. It really wasn't until I discovered "Alien Lanes" and "Bee Thousand" that I came back to this record.

135. "Rosalita (Come Out Tonight)" (Bruce Springsteen, 1973)
Do you remember when MTV played music videos? This used to be on all the time!

134. "Grace" (Jeff Buckley, Grace, 1994)
It is a family name, yes, but I also had this song/album in mind when my daughter was named.

133. "The Golden Age" (Beck, Sea Change, 2002)
They are all so good, but this is my favorite Beck album.

132. "This Train Don't Stop There Anymore" (Elton John, 2001)
I think about these lyrics a lot.

131. "Too Little Too Late" (Barenaked Ladies, Maroon, 2000)
Sonically pleasing and very fun to sing.

130. "Big Bang Baby" (Stone Temple Pilots, Tiny Music, 1996)
This song is probably included in about 50 mixtapes/playlists I've made over the past 14 years.

129. "Rock the Casbah" (The Clash, Combat Rock, 1982)
OK, Clash fans. I have, and love "London Calling". Is this record worth getting? If it's anything like this song, I believe the answer is yes...

128. "I Can't Tell You Why" (Eagles, 1980)
I make fun of the Eagles a lot, especially the men who make them up, but I've always really loved this song. Timothy B Schmidt, doing what Timothy B Schmidt does. Just get a haircut, already.

127. "Everlong" (Foo Fighters, The Colour and the Shape, 1997)
"the only thing I'll ever ask of you.....you gotta promise not to stop when I say when"

126. "The Wanderer" (Dion, Runaround Sue, 1961)
My mom had a huge crush on Dion. What a great song...

125. "Kokomo" (The Beach Boys, Greatest Hits, 1988)
Phil always loved this song, and used it in his new youtube video, which made me and family cry tears of joy !

124. "Come Together" (The Beatles, Abbey Road, 1969)
Track one of a masterpiece.

123. "Big Man on Mulberry Street" (Billy Joel, The Bridge, 1986)
I have a hard time hitting the high notes these days, but damnit, I keep trying...

122. "Guys and Dolls" (Dean Martin & Frank Sinatra, Boys Night Out, 1955)
I love the song so much, I named my new fantasy football league after it. It's called "Guy and Dolls". I'm the guy.

121. "Don't Know Why" (Norah Jones, Come Away With Me, 2002)
In 2002, my crush on Norah Jones consumed my days. Her second album wasn't good, and I haven't heard her fourth, but I will always have time for her debut...

No comments:

Post a Comment