Friday, September 3, 2010

Fugazzi Grand (600-581)

600. "Eminence Front" (The Who, Ultimate Collection, 1982)
"it's a put on, it's a put on"

599. "Love is a Battlefield" (Pat Benatar, Greatest Hits, 1983)
One of the best videos of all time. The pimp and the hookers dancing in perfect choreography ... Love really is a battlefield.

598. "Tutti-Frutti" (Little Richard, Greatest Hits, 1955)
Mean Gene Okerlund actually covered this on the first Wrestling Album, but I went with Little Richard's version anyway.

597. "And Then He Kissed Me" (The Crystals, Best of, 1962)
I want to start collecting vinyl, and this will be one of the first records I would buy.

596. "The Influence" (Jurassic 5, Quality Control, 2000)
I discovered these guys in my short lived MTV2 phase in 2001-02.

595. "Zak and Sara" (Ben Folds, Rockin the Suburbs, 2001)
I insist that Sara is of special needs, and I think this bugs my friends when I say that.

594. "Don't Stand So Close to Me" (The Police, Zenyatta Mondatta, 1980)
I hated the re-make, but I still love the original.

593. "Hold On" (Sarah McLachlan, Fumbling Towards Ecstasy, 1994)
Haven't liked anything she's done since I was in high school, but I still genuinely enjoy this record.

592. "Fake Empire" (The National, Boxer, 2007)
This is the best band in the world.

591. "Heart of Gold" (Neil Young, Harvest, 1972)
My friend Howard Goldstein has been getting me up to speed on Neil Young records as of late.

590. "You Remind Me" (Andy Shauf, Darker Days, 2008)
A very solid free LP from Paste.

589. "Angel Dream (No. 4)" (Tom Petty, She's the One, 1996)
"I can only thank God it was not too late"

588. "Hear Me in the Harmony" (Harry Connick Jr, Star Turtle, 1995)
I'm amazed that Harry Connick isn't a bigger star than he already is. You don't hear him on the radio a lot, and that is a shame.

587. "You're Missing" (Bruce Springsteen, The Rising, 2002)
This is not a record you blare at a 4th of July cookout, but the stories and characters are as American as the apple pie served at that cookout.

586. "Where It's At" (Beck, Odelay, 1996)
Just two days ago, my sister and I, along with a long time neighbor friend were exchanging lines from this song on facebook.

585. "I'm In No Mood" (The Fiery Furnaces, Bitter Tea, 2006)
Bitter Tea is their best all around record.

584. "Stereo" (Pavement, Brighten the Corners, 1997)
I'm still getting familiar with this record, but I loved this song from the very first note.

583. "Amie" (Pure Prairie League, Greatest Hits, 1972)
Used in the SNL "Song Memories" sketches (brilliant), but for the record, I loved this song well before Will Forte, Jason Sudeikas and Bill Hader sang it on the tv.

582. "Remedy" (The Black Crowes, Southern Harmony, 1992)
Great rock n roll band. Great rock n roll song.

581. "New Year's Day" (U2, War, 1983)
This is totally unrelated to this song, but in 2005, I saw U2 for the first time, and had a great time, but less than five years later, I can't tell you a thing about the show (and not because I drank too much). I don't know what they started or ended with, I can't identify any songs that I can guarantee they performed. I must have been caught up in the moment, but it obviously wasn't that memorable.

1 comment: