Saturday, February 22, 2014

Fugazzi Grand III : My Top 500 Albums (#396 and #395)

(#396, Walls and Bridges by John Lennon)

Music marks time, and while this album was recorded in the mid 70's, I'm sure I listened to it a ton in the early 80's after Lennon was killed.  I can't say for sure, but I feel like my father listened to this a lot when I'd visit him, and the songs feel like home to me.  I always say that my mom gave me Elvis Presley, my dad gave me the Beatles, and Billy Joel came from both sides of the family, but I remember listening to a ton of solo Lennon and Harrison a lot as a kid as well.

This was the album that Lennon recorded during his 18 month separation from Yoko Ono, the "Lost Weekend", as it were.  I love it, and I love you, dad  ...



So many great songs to choose from here, but I'd like to share #9 Dream ...




(#395, Let Me Go, Let Me Go, Let Me Go by Jason Molina)

I'm unsure when I discovered Jason Molina and his music, but I remember I stumbled upon him, almost by accident, really.  I was reading reviews on Pitchfork on a day off, and found the review for this.  So I sampled it on iTunes, and was instantly drawn in.  I started to dig deeper into his catalog, with Songs: Ohia and Magnolia Electric Co. and didn't realize at the time that this gentleman would write and record an absolute masterpiece just a few years later.  If you're unfamiliar with this man's work, this may not be the best place to start, which isn't a knock at the material here, but it's safe to say that this is probably Molina's most bare recording, and not representative of most of his work.  I'd probably recommend the Songs: Ohia stuff as a starting point, but either way, this is nice recording for rainy days and late nights.


Here's the title track ...





No comments:

Post a Comment