Sunday, February 9, 2014

Fugazzi Grand III : My Top 500 Albums (#422 and #421)

(#422, Under the Bushes Under the Stars by Guided By Voices)

Following up "Alien Lanes" is no easy task, but Pollard and Company did pretty good, with the help of Kim Deal at the soundboard.  At 55 minutes long, I believe this is the longest GBV record (too lazy to fact check this), but there are a lot of solid songs here to keep my attention ...  "Cut-Out Witch", "Lord of Overstock", "Acorns & Orioles", "The Perfect Life", "Don't Stop Now" and "Redmen and Their Wives", to name a few.








I think Todd Kemper hates "Cut-Out Witch", but I enjoy it ...




(#421, Lions by The Black Crowes)

Mike Moser got me into The Black Crowes in the late 90's, but I never bought the records until this one came out in 2001.  I remember listening to this almost every night for about two months, and never really got tired of it.  I think I bought 2 or 3 of their older albums about a year later, and really liked those as well.  Just like the previous album I reviewed, this clocks in around 55 minutes, but songs like "Midnight From the Inside Out", "Losing My Mind", "Soul Singing" and "Cypress Tree" make this a worthwhile listen.






Here's the video to "Soul Singing" ...

No comments:

Post a Comment