Thursday, February 6, 2014

Fugazzi Grand III : My Top 500 Albums (#426 and #425)

(#426, 100 Days, 100 Nights by Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings)

The title track from this record was the very first song I ever heard on a Paste sampler.  I listened to Volume 38 almost every night for about a month, and this would end up being the first album I purchased from that sampler.  The beauty of the Paste samplers was that I may not have been exposed to Sharon Jones if not for purchasing that magazine on the campus of UW Milwaukee in late 2007, which I bought because The National was on the cover, by the way.

I can only hope one day that people will think the same about newgazzi that I did about Paste. Sharon, I can't wait to see you next month at The Pabst!


Check out her video for "100 Days, 100 Nights" ...





(#425, Hurley by Weezer)

If you know anything about me, you know this much:  This will not be the last time you see Weezer on Fugazzi Grand III.  You can blame Scott Radke for that.  He and I used to go bowling in Menomonee Falls every Friday night, and one particular night, while I was waiting for him to close shop at the old Camelot Music on Brown Deer Road, he played Weezer's "Blue Album" for me, and my mind was blown.  I didn't realize at the time that their debut album would pretty much serve as a bridge from the music I listened to as a kid to what I listen to today.  Billy Joel stopped recording in 1993, and this album came out in mid 1994.  Hurley was the first album that the band released on the Epitaph Records label after leaving Geffen in 2010.  The album saw the band return to a more rocking sound, after the experimental "Red Album" in 2008, and the mostly forgettable "Raditude" in 2009.  Rivers Cuomo co-wrote all but two songs on this record with a different musician, which makes this record unique from most other Weezer albums.  The song "Memories" has served as the theme for a number of full album concerts that Weezer has performed since 2011, and is one of their best songs in recent memory.  And yes, that is Michael Cera on vocals in the song "Hang On".

Here's the video for "Memories" featuring the boys from Jackass ...






No comments:

Post a Comment