Friday, February 21, 2014

Fugazzi Grand III : My Top 500 Albums (#398 and #397)

(#398, Teenager of the Year by Frank Black)

I was late to the Pixies / Black Francis / Frank Black party.  Sure, I had heard of the Pixies, but wasn't properly introduced to them until Dan Lozoff turned me on to them in 2004.  This is Black's second solo album, and the first thing of his I really sat down and listened to.  I wouldn't learn until a few years after listening to this that Kurt Cobain was a huge fan of the Pixies.  At 22 songs, and 62 minutes long, there is enough strong content here to hold my attention.









This is "I Want to Live on an Abstract Plain" ...




(#397, Rome by Danger Mouse & Daniele Luppi)

This is a concept album, I suppose.  All of the songs recorded here are inspired by music from old spaghetti westerns.  Jack White and Norah Jones each contribute vocals to three songs on the record, and the record sounds like a soundtrack to a movie yet to be made.  Brian Burton is slowly becoming a talent that pretty much turns everything he does to gold, and this is no exception.








Here is "The Rose With the Broken Neck", featuring Jack White on vocals ...


No comments:

Post a Comment