Monday, February 17, 2014

Fugazzi Grand III : My Top 500 Albums (#404 and #403)

(#404, Weezer (The Red Album) by Weezer)

Weezer's fifth album, "Make Believe", is by far my least favorite Weezer album.  This is the follow up, and I was really hoping that this would be a solid recording, and it is.  This is the first, and only Weezer album to feature each member of the band on lead vocals on at least one song.  Here are some interesting facts about this record.  The lead single, "Pork and Beans", was not even supposed to be on the record.  In fact, when Weezer turned in the final version of the album, Geffen wanted one more commercial sounding song to round it off, and the boys wrote "Pork and Beans" in response to their request.  Also, two of the best songs recorded for the album didn't even make the final record, but were included in the deluxe version of the album ("Miss Sweeney" and "King").  "The Greatest Man That Ever Lived (Variations on a Shaker Hymn)" is easily the most unique and ambitious song Weezer have ever recorded.  "Dreamin" is solid.  "Cold Dark World" is a gem, and "Automatic" is fantastic.  If my daughter were creating this list, this might very well be # 1.

I'm actually going with one of the songs from the deluxe version.  Here's "Miss Sweeney" ... that fuckin' moustache.




(#403, Dumb and Dumber Soundtrack by Various Artists)

Goddamn, I love this soundtrack.  Yes, the movie is a cult classic, and I will most definitely see the sequel (never saw the prequel), but I'm sure I've listened to album several hundred times in my life, and probably 3 or 4 times this week.  I remember buying this, and pretty much pulling this out every day for a few months.  Hopefully there will be a kickass soundtrack for the sequel, too.








I'm going to choose "New Age Girl" by Deadeye Dick, but I could've chosen any of these songs ...

No comments:

Post a Comment